Oesophogitis/Swollen gullet

Lancstree

Iv had a hiatus hernia for about 6 years. Suffer from terrible acid reflux. Wake up with the most horrendous hiccups and acid which eventually makes me vomit. Things that trigger mine are indian food. Alcohol junk food eating to late laying down after eating. Basically all the good stuff lol iv taken 30 mg lamprazole for 5 years. At the minute i have stopped taking it and seem to be coping ok was ill for first time last week two days running. To be honest im a bit run down were lambing at the minute and extremly busy with lots of fencing so not realy looking after myself to well. The lamprazole is ok but doesnt completly stop it. So for me its trying to controll it myself through wat i eat and drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Just out of interest do you regularly feel tired? Not just cant be assed, but properly tired? If so get your thyroxin levels checked as my misses had swollen neck and they ended up removing her thyroid. Dont want to scare, just another thing to think about.

For anyone on PPI's/Omeprazole etc I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to come off them, as said before acid reflux can cause serious problems with your lower gullet with scar tissue. If you've had serious indigestion/acid reflux then the PPI's give your body time to heal.

A lot of people these days are keen not to stay on prescribed drugs for fear of long term side effects, it's been said PPI's inhibit Vitamin B12 absorbtion by the stomach, this in theory could potentially lead to early onset dementia, but if you stop taking the PPI's you could end up with major scar tissue problems far worse than not being able to absorb Vitamin B12.

A lot of problems associated with PPIs use are dietary but stress can play a major role and if your suffering serious acid reflux and pain the stress will only increase if you stop taking the PPIs.

If you come off Omeprazole and the acid reflux starts again, you should go straight back on the Omeprazole before you cause more damage.

Edited by scotspine1

Some very good advice given on this thread, I'm on omep for the rest of my life, that's ok for me, but always keep a clear picture of what's going on with what is going on inside you, & what you are absorbing, food, liquids & stress. Also when you intake these things regards your body clock.

For instance, a big meal taken before sleep without walking it off, or stress with your head on the pillow, no good.

Sometimes eating just a few mouthfuls every hour or so rather than filling your face a couple of times a day, & plenty of good water can be constructive.