advice on the arb association

d-raittuk

Firstly the min. 2 years trading is an 'absolute' which isn't negotiable I'm afraid. It's there to protect established businesses, i.e. 2 years and over who can access the scheme, from those less scrupulous ones who may view things very short term and damage the industries reputation in the process. Further, and perhaps ore importantly, it is a demonstration of client commitment that you will be there tomorrow, next month, next year if things go wrong (unlikely of course :001_smile:)

Thanks for your time n apologies for the verbose post.

Cheers..

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for your post, I would describe it as thorough not verbose:001_smile:

Apologies for my rant as that was late last night and there was a bit of Cabernet Sauvignon involved :blushing:

My comment about black and white box ticking referred to the two year part and your reasoning for it is a valid point. As you will require sight of a CS41 before viewing any rigging demonstration, I might as well wait for the two year period to elapse as I will now have to sit through a course to gain the NPTC ticket.

Method statements, SSRA's etc. are all in place as are proper plant, tool and vehicle maintenance arrangements and facilities.

I did try to catch you at the Arb Show, but you were tied up with presentations etc. I'll give you a call towards the end of the week.

Regards,

Steve.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul,

Thanks for your post, I would describe it as thorough not verbose:001_smile:

Apologies for my rant as that was late last night and there was a bit of Cabernet Sauvignon involved :blushing:

My comment about black and white box ticking referred to the two year part and your reasoning for it is a valid point. As you will require sight of a CS41 before viewing any rigging demonstration, I might as well wait for the two year period to elapse as I will now have to sit through a course to gain the NPTC ticket.

Method statements, SSRA's etc. are all in place as are proper plant, tool and vehicle maintenance arrangements and facilities.

I did try to catch you at the Arb Show, but you were tied up with presentations etc. I'll give you a call towards the end of the week.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve, not a problem at all (maybe try Rioja next time as it's a little lighter I find :lol:, good for the blood apparently.)

Re- CS41 (as was), it is 'in effect' viewed as a mandatory ticket for ARB Approved which follows strong recommendations from HSE given the nature of the activity, i.e. 'high risk'. Whilst you could simply take the assessment for CS41, which would be fine, to date I have found those who undertake associated training with some of the more current and dynamic providers find it very useful indeed and learn new stuff along the way.

I keep this one brief and look forward to your call.

All the best..

Paul

PS Yeah, sorry about the ARB Show 'unavailability' many have said the same so the AA intends 'cloning me' for next year (dread the thought!)

Paul,

I have to draw issue with your last post.

Rioja.......:puke:

Cab Sav was going light, it's usually Shiraz:lol:

Haha, very funny...I guess it can be a bit like Ribena (my wife does the 'heavy' stuff too, sometimes more akin to port...her blood must be like water :biggrin:)

TTFN..

Paul

Hi there,

I would strongly advise you start the process of preparation for ARB Approved Contractor (ArbAC) as soon as possible and the more the necessary 'systems and procedures' are embedded, AND please don't be put off by this as it's very much "horses for courses" here, the better placed the business will be to achieve FULL approval.

Also, I'm sure if you speak to most contractors who've gone through the process of both preparation, including attendance at a 'prep workshop' (often FoC), and assessment, they will tell you it has been educational.

The next ones are:

- Bristol on 19th September (FoC)

- Winchester on 2nd October (FoC)

- Leicester on 9th October (£50+VAT, but refunded on application)

Please do get in touch should you wish to know more.

Cheers..

Paul

well i understand the fact you have to do the "bull" to get the right accreditation etc and if that means sitting in a classroom and ticking the preverbal boxes and passing all the different criteria etc to get a "stamp of approval" plus its progression of my skills and knowledge and its as you said shows commitment to the industry which iam all for and it also shows the customer that you're committed to tree care well being etc . dont get me wrong plenty of arb contractors / surgeons etc working to a high standard who aren't members. i just thought from a personal development point of view and the fact am going to be taking the rains of a arb business in the next few years i would ask some questions and hear if from the horses mouths.

Thanks Paul

Regards Danny

well i understand the fact you have to do the "bull" to get the right accreditation etc and if that means sitting in a classroom and ticking the preverbal boxes and passing all the different criteria etc to get a "stamp of approval" plus its progression of my skills and knowledge and its as you said shows commitment to the industry which iam all for and it also shows the customer that you're committed to tree care well being etc . dont get me wrong plenty of arb contractors / surgeons etc working to a high standard who aren't members. i just thought from a personal development point of view and the fact am going to be taking the rains of a arb business in the next few years i would ask some questions and hear if from the horses mouths.

Thanks Paul

Regards Danny

Danny, very well put and I hope you consider at least using the ARB Approved Contractor standards as a checklist for the business's compliance with legislation, regulation and industry good/best practice. This is a good start point for any arb business regardless of whether you present it for assessment or not.

You are absolutely right that there are many arb contractors working to high standards, and indeed I've had the privilege of meeting, and subsequently assessing, many of them. The trouble is that without the third party accreditation probably no-one else knows how good you are and doors which may be of interest / use / 'new avenues of work' (potentially) may stay shut. Don't get me wrong there are no guarantees but with the right marketing and promotion, both you and us, things can happen.

Cheers for now and thanks for your posts.

Paul

Danny, very well put and I hope you consider at least using the ARB Approved Contractor standards as a checklist for the business's compliance with legislation, regulation and industry good/best practice. This is a good start point for any arb business regardless of whether you present it for assessment or not.

You are absolutely right that there are many arb contractors working to high standards, and indeed I've had the privilege of meeting, and subsequently assessing, many of them. The trouble is that without the third party accreditation probably no-one else knows how good you are and doors which may be of interest / use / 'new avenues of work' (potentially) may stay shut. Don't get me wrong there are no guarantees but with the right marketing and promotion, both you and us, things can happen.

Cheers for now and thanks for your posts.

Paul

megger paul thanks and just so you can sleep sound at nite for the time being until i take the jump all are work is carried out to BS3998 and all relevant AFAG guidelines :thumbup:

I went to a workshop day, although I'm not going to go for AAC strait away it's a great day just to learn more and you also learn about where the holes are in your company H&S and paper work systems. especially if your aiming for the higher end work.

We do a lot of commercial and paper work is essential its an ass but that's just life unfortunately.

As for being a arb association member if you love your industry then you should support the group who support and represent you.

Just my opinion

The mags good too