Sequoia Root zone.

Tree:Tment

I need advice regarding root system of Sequoia tree.

This tree is Approx 70ft tall and 6ft Diameter at base.

It is approx 18ft away from clients property and has caused severe damage to garden wall / pathway etc.

The tree is very nice looking but the client is worried about damage to foundations. The Tree does Have a TPO on it. It does not have any decay visiable from ground level but does have Lean towards clients property. The tree has layed down compression wood on side where there is a lean. No sign of shearing.

Please see pics of base and distance from Property. What you can't see in pics is damage caused to wall behind green bin.

597665f074f2d_mixed584.jpg.2250cef1f850ae46cda0ef8d874b2c39.jpg

597665f071f79_mixed586.jpg.1137de6027709ea0d9e2a0fc912f015b.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need advice regarding root system of Sequoia tree.

This tree is Approx 70ft tall and 6ft Diameter at base.

It is approx 18ft away from clients property and has caused severe damage to garden wall / pathway etc.

The tree is very nice looking but the client is worried about damage to foundations. The Tree does Have a TPO on it. It does not have any decay visiable from ground level but does have Lean towards clients property. The tree has layed down compression wood on side where there is a lean. No sign of shearing.

Please see pics of base and distance from Property. What you can't see in pics is damage caused to wall behind green bin.

Bump.

What does the client want to do? remove the tree?

Yes they want the tree removed as few limbs fell off, they have kids etc.

They have had the tree officer out but he is not wanting them to remove it. I am trying to build up a case for removing this tree for them and only thing i can think of is roots damaging foundations.

Yes they want the tree removed as few limbs fell off, they have kids etc.

They have had the tree officer out but he is not wanting them to remove it. I am trying to build up a case for removing this tree for them and only thing i can think of is roots damaging foundations.

Ah I see . Well Kids dying from falling limbs would be the top order followed by root damage to buildings etc etc followed by lack of light ...in that order .

Edited by Stubby

I don't think your opinion in regards to the tree damaging the foundations will help with the council agreeing to the removal of the tree unless you are a structural engineer who has carried out a survey of the building and foundations. If the tree is protected by a TPO. the council are quite within their rights to ask for supporting evidence before determining your application.

I also do not think that the council will care too much about the state of any paving or garden wall. They can both be repaired easily.

Dropping of branches may only require a management plan to remove dead wood or partial crown works and again not a reason to consent to the tree's removal.

Doesn't leave many options and it may be that the tree is sound, has high public amenity and should remain.

To remove a tree in this position will probably require further investigation to determine if the trunk or roots are decayed . . . unlikely or bring in a structural engineer to state that the house is being damaged. Even then, the council may require other alternatives to remediate the situation. If the tree must remain, perhaps it will end up with your client moving . . . good luck.

I don't think your opinion in regards to the tree damaging the foundations will help with the council agreeing to the removal of the tree unless you are a structural engineer who has carried out a survey of the building and foundations. If the tree is protected by a TPO. the council are quite within their rights to ask for supporting evidence before determining your application.

I also do not think that the council will care too much about the state of any paving or garden wall. They can both be repaired easily.

Dropping of branches may only require a management plan to remove dead wood or partial crown works and again not a reason to consent to the tree's removal.

Doesn't leave many options and it may be that the tree is sound, has high public amenity and should remain.

To remove a tree in this position will probably require further investigation to determine if the trunk or roots are decayed . . . unlikely or bring in a structural engineer to state that the house is being damaged. Even then, the council may require other alternatives to remediate the situation. If the tree must remain, perhaps it will end up with your client moving . . . good luck.

I only asked for information regarding The roots of the tree. ..but thanks for the advice given.

With your good knowlegde can you tell me if the trees roots are likely to cause probs with foundations?

Ah I see . Well Kids dying from falling limbs would be the top order followed by root damage to buildings etc etc followed by lack of light ...in that order .

Cheers stubby.

I am trying to find out if the roots will casue probs with foundation. E.g if Sequoia roots are know to cause probs with foundations.

The client does not want to spend a fortune getting a survey done when a general inspection of tree and bit of free advice will help them make decision.

As oslac says its a tricky one with regard to good cause . As many independent experts reports you can get are your armory . Safety is paramount , structural damage secondary ( though how you repair a wall that is damaged by lifting roots is difficult as the roots will always be there doing the lifting ! ) . Having said that it is a beautiful tree and in other surroundings , ie a park would be an asset and obviously the tree was there long before the property was built ......