Forwarder

Elmsdown Forestry

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i had to spend my money i'd get a Ponsse. Mainly because the cab is huge, i mean you can fit 3 people in there! I also like the set up of everything on the computer much easier to customise your crane than the JD software.

As for going up to a 12 ish tonne machine depends on what you do. If you do more clear fell i'd go bigger. If you get a 12 tonne machine you can put 10tonnes in it and you'll never wreck your bogies. However if you put 12 tonne in your 810D you will wreck your bogies. And take it from me their a pain to drag onto the low loader. They're worse to get off and a nightmare to rebuild.

Ponnse

Elk/Caribou would be your 10 tonne machine. Bunk crane with 9m on it think i loved the one i drove. The merc engine is really nice and it's very easy to work on.

Wisnet is the next one up. Identical to the elk except bigger.

JD

810. Cab mounted crane which means you've got the active crane follow/slewing to keep it attached to the bunk. Means on harsh terrain without the crane on the bunk you can't put it out to one side to balance it. So the bunk can go quite easily. Quite easy to overload and damage the bogies. Cab is very small.

1010 is the bigger one less prone to overloading. Does take a long time to fill up for some reason.

Valmet

820 - It's a classic, go on forever although parts are getting hard to get. Only valmet i've driven but its a classic but i'd have it over a deere.

Rottne

Old skool simplicity. Never had any seat time in one but i've herd good things if you like a few less bells and whistles.

Get an 8 wheel one rather than a 6 and put 2 sets of tracks on it rather than chains and tracks. Unless your doing long extractions there probably isn't much in carrying a few extra tonnes. I'm using a 10 tonne botex my stuff and untill this winters 5 mile extration route it's always been fine. Then 4.5 miles of that is road so proper forwarder would be no good.

Have you looked at a Logset 4f or the 5f ? both very good machines , the computer system is really simple to get your head round and the machines are well built and the cabs are certainly built the the operator in mind

I always thought Logset where just grey timber jacks?

Have you looked at a Logset 4f or the 5f ? both very good machines , the computer system is really simple to get your head round and the machines are well built and the cabs are certainly built the the operator in mind

Yeah, do like the smaller logsets myself. Did you buy that one then Dave? Thought it was a 6F but should've gone to specsavers!

I suppose there are a lot of Timberjack clones out there. Maybe the Logsets are different. I know the ProSILVAs which are basically timberjacks with facelift and upgrades. No fancy computers in them just put the software on your laptop and plug it in! Nice cabs too. AFAIK they don't have a UK dealer but their tracked harvester and forwarder are ace. Went to their bog harvesting demo day.

Be the first to have one of these. Think it's a 14tonne machine.

prosilva.jpg.27deb482a6c607801d6397a104092238.jpg

The logset it certainy in a class above the timberjack both the software for the crane and the crane its self are an awful lot more responsive and can be personalized far more. I personally would love to buy one but unless you have a harvester its not really worth it and there is no way near enough forestry down here to sub it out with an operator , oh and the cabs are an awful lit more operator friendly with a better field of vision