Wedding centre pieces advice please.

Fencing Nick

I've been asked to make some rings about 2in think, 12 inch diameter for a wedding next year. I'm just looking for some advice on stopping them cracking, and what sort if oil should I use to treat them. Or is there a better wood that won't split as much. I know it's quite a simple thing compared to some of the amazing creations on here but any advice would be great. Thanks. Nick

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

This was discussed in a recent thread but can't remember which one but I think the only way to do this if whole rings of tree was to use PEG (poly ethaline glycol) Sorry no idea on spelling. My only thought would be to make some deliberate cuts to the center of the rings in the hope this would stop random splitting. I have made small rings like this for place names (3-4")and I just selected from our log piles dry pieces that had not split during drying but the chances of getting 12" rounds dry that have not split I would have thought would be rare.

Thanks for the replies, I did see a thread similar to this before but couldn't seem to find it again.

I've heard about cutting them then rapping them in something to keep them form drying to quick. Might just cutting them the day before, leaving no time to split.

They need to be rings with bark on.

Thanks for the replies, I did see a thread similar to this before but couldn't seem to find it again.

I've heard about cutting them then rapping them in something to keep them form drying to quick. Might just cutting them the day before, leaving no time to split.

They need to be rings with bark on.

The previous thread was started by jrose I think.

Cutting the day before would be the surest way, then a quick coat of acrylic varnish on both ends to stop them drying at all in a hot room. Polyethylene glycol (PEG can work well, but it will drink the stuff, and I wouldn't personally bother for something which is going to be used once and thrown away.

Alec

I think you`ll find unless you take the centre out there going to split,,,,but for the short period of time you will need them ,them just release the pressure with a 10mm bit,,,in the centre,,,fill it with fimo,or any other kids play stuff,,,cedar is pretty stable,leave it till a few weeks before,,