Multi Fungi Attack !

David Humphries

Edit:Originally Posted by Monkeyd

Tired old Beech hosting amongst many others, Meripilus giganteus -Giant Polypore (bottom right of stem) Ganoderma applanatum -Artists Bracket (middle of stem) & Polyporus squamosus - Dryads Saddle

:

Very good indeed young master Lofthouse.

You've obviously been doing your homework :001_smile:

No need to keep bringing me an apple in to class :sneaky2:

Very good indeed young master Lofthouse.

You've obviously been doing your homework

No need to keep bringing me an apple in to class

No no googled them David, I've got as far as being able to recognise Dryads Saddle, because it looks like a saddle :blushing:

Going to look at a large Beech tomorrow that is showing lots of fungi apparently, will take pictures and notes and report back :001_smile:

As promised I'm posting these pics of one beech I looked at on friday 4ft DBH, foliage is very sparse, one large pocket at the top of the main stem and fungal growths all round the base.

I do apologise for the picture quality, our lass has stolen my phone while hers is repaired.

My starter for ten says it's early stages Meripulus Giganteus - Giant polypore. :001_smile:

5976546c79e79_Photosfromkathscamera318.jpg.e8417ec61e3bb5871f544928f0d27561.jpg

5976546c75cb6_Photosfromkathscamera316.jpg.5db70cbba8d3086c0ec7fe1df75c599c.jpg

5976546c72ac4_Photosfromkathscamera315.jpg.fd80ad8fa23f663070bfaeffe1cad939.jpg

5976546c6edcc_Photosfromkathscamera314.jpg.25ad87ef9e53146011785fd6882f7966.jpg

5976546c6a40a_Photosfromkathscamera319.jpg.56a63c1db24d06ff067fb6de00ce6a52.jpg

I dug down a little and the fungi was attached to some quite squishy wood, you could break it apart quite easily.

There is no tpo on it as it was assessed by the TO and because of the cavity was decided against protection, but he also recommends it come straight down.

Took another tree surgeon with me and told him I was going to fell it, he said no way too tight and it's weighted backwards, powerlines to the right, henpen to the left, but deano thrives on challenging fells.

Will put in an anchor plate to anchor the landrover and winch it over , aim it towards the power lines slightly because it's weight to the left also and pray that when the hinge snaps it kicks to the left a little :001_smile: otherwise there'll be an almighty flash bang :001_smile:

Will take some x section photos of the stump and hopefully video the fell

• 5 months later...
I dug down a little and the fungi was attached to some quite squishy wood, you could break it apart quite easily.

There is no tpo on it as it was assessed by the TO and because of the cavity was decided against protection, but he also recommends it come straight down.

Took another tree surgeon with me and told him I was going to fell it, he said no way too tight and it's weighted backwards, powerlines to the right, henpen to the left, but deano thrives on challenging fells.

Will put in an anchor plate to anchor the landrover and winch it over , aim it towards the power lines slightly because it's weight to the left also and pray that when the hinge snaps it kicks to the left a little :001_smile: otherwise there'll be an almighty flash bang :001_smile:

Will take some x section photos of the stump and hopefully video the fell

was there a conclusion to this beech story dean?

• 1 year later...

I found this Oak tree the other day and got quite excited.

It's recently had a hefty reduction which I thought, at a glance, was the usual butchery but then observed more.

Sorry for the photo quality, they were taken with my phone.

Hopefully the tree will still be standing after my grandchildren (my eldest is five), although I doubt it, but i would love to cut into this just to be able to 'read the story inside'.

59765b5566f42_Oakwith3Fungi_005.jpg.62d89ef4fd72934c8a0dec938efde0e4.jpg

59765b5565142_Oakwith3Fungi_004.jpg.f6f10a3d78de0b5ceeff1b4391206f75.jpg

59765b5562116_Oakwith3Fungi_003.jpg.bd8c196d9ba848b12fb60d8b477760af.jpg

59765b555ff34_Oakwith3Fungi_001.jpg.f8816cea58b90a329394e47a1af500ca.jpg