Cs38 pole rescue

David Bernstein

I did my 38 a few months ago, and as stated there are a few ways to do a pole rescue, some of which are more 'real world' than others. But in the schedule I think the assessor can get you to do either a single man rescue or as a team with a belay. As a single man option I climbed to just above the casualty and put in an anchor point about a meter above them. Then descended and attached myself to the casualty, bridge to bridge with a QuickDraw. Then used my lanyard to help keep the casualty upright (mainly for use if the casualty is unconscious) by placing it around there back under their arm pits. Then a prussic was put from their harness onto my climbing line (going through the anchor point set previously). Now take the weight on your rope and then disconnect them from their rope. You can now descend on your line by holding the two friction hitches. Easy :-)

Thats type 2, nowt wrong with that and given that most 38's tests are done in pairs on the day rather than a group its the most likely you will get asked to do.

and type 1 - bridge to bridge, casualty stays on their system and you tend both hitches. Usually used if their climbing line is intact and serviceable - for instances where the casualty has broken an arm or badly bruised themselves.

I did my 38 a few months ago, and as stated there are a few ways to do a pole rescue, some of which are more 'real world' than others. But in the schedule I think the assessor can get you to do either a single man rescue or as a team with a belay. As a single man option I climbed to just above the casualty and put in an anchor point about a meter above them. Then descended and attached myself to the casualty, bridge to bridge with a QuickDraw. Then used my lanyard to help keep the casualty upright (mainly for use if the casualty is unconscious) by placing it around there back under their arm pits. Then a prussic was put from their harness onto my climbing line (going through the anchor point set previously). Now take the weight on your rope and then disconnect them from their rope. You can now descend on your line by holding the two friction hitches. Easy :-)

Honestly never even heard of this belay tactic before, how does it work and what's the point of it? I can't imagine where the added setup time and potential for a f*** would be worth while.

Not trying to divert from the original topic, just trying to learn something too.

The other person sets up the ground end of the belay, you just install the top end, it's a fairly simple set up and just as quick IMO as it allows a set anchor on a pole

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Thats type 2, nowt wrong with that and given that most 38's tests are done in pairs on the day rather than a group its the most likely you will get asked to do.

and type 1 - bridge to bridge, casualty stays on their system and you tend both hitches. Usually used if their climbing line is intact and serviceable - for instances where the casualty has broken an arm or badly bruised themselves.

Yeah. I should of pointed out that the method I described was for use when the climbers line is not long enough or un serviceable. I think I did it that way as the assessor had already seen me do a traditional rescue using the casualties line, and so it made sense for me to do it this way on the pole. Also I think it says in the handbook I was given that 'during the assessment the rescuer is not to take the casualty off their climbing line under any circumstance' and is only to simulate that action. For safety reasons I presume.

The other person sets up the ground end of the belay, you just install the top end, it's a fairly simple set up and just as quick IMO as it allows a set anchor on a pole

I get that much, I just don't understand why the system you put in place for yourself is insufficient for the rescue. You wouldn't put a belay line in when the climbers system is compromised in a regular rescue, so why on a pole?

I get that much, I just don't understand why the system you put in place for yourself is insufficient for the rescue. You wouldn't put a belay line in when the climbers system is compromised in a regular rescue, so why on a pole?

Because without a form of friction hitch and pulley thing, on a pole there is very rarely a point you can fit an anchor to, and I wouldn't fancy carrying another person my weight down on one set of spikes and a wire-core, where as the belay means you can both decend quickly from a pole, as you can take it all pre-assembled on your harness during the rescue

You don't need a friction hitch/pulley to anchor onto a pole, a choked sling, whoopie sling, even a strop will work with a karabiner in it. And since you've made that anchor, why faff about making a second while your mate's bleeding to death? Besides the NPTC schedules suggest the use of a belay line in conjunction with your own system so you'd have to make two anchors anyway... rendering that explanation void.

As I said, hate to divert the thread but that just doesn't make sense to me...

You don't need a friction hitch/pulley to anchor onto a pole, a choked sling, whoopie sling, even a strop will work with a karabiner in it. And since you've made that anchor, why faff about making a second while your mate's bleeding to death? Besides the NPTC schedules suggest the use of a belay line in conjunction with your own system so you'd have to make two anchors anyway... rendering that explanation void.

As I said, hate to divert the thread but that just doesn't make sense to me...

You're both on the one belay line, and the top anchor for us was just a large rope turned into a prussic loop, and it's if a person is injured whilst spiking with a flip line

For your Assessment you should not come off of your system at any point regardless of the type of rescue so the pole rescue from a belay should be carried out in this way , the course guidance should make this clear , also before carrying out the rescue make it clear to the assessor that because this is not a real life rescue you will not be taking the casualty off of his system and in the case of a belayed rescue you will ensure a minimum two points of contact but will have installed a false anchor for your system and will be staying on your system at all times