Chipper Chip ejection pattern: neatly or splattered everywhere?!

I have two chippers; a Jo-Beau M500 which I'm thinking of getting rid of as it's a mare to sharpen correctly and a Jensen A530Tracked. Thus, I quite often hire a road tow from any of the local hirers when neccessary. I have noticed that different machines have different chip "spray patterns", the upshot of which is that when chipping and the spout is a relative distance from the receiving end rather than almost in the chipbox, either I have very little clearing up to do with the blower afterwards or absolutely loads. I have found the Jensen spout very directional i.e. no "overspray" at all whereas others, especially Schliesing, Tunnissen et al awful in this respect - chips all over the place. I often wonder if the spouts on the bandits and such like with their long horizontal sections fare any better / worse and do any designers out there have an opinion on what makes the difference? Is it the spout dimensions, the air flow, etc etc.???????:001_smile:

Chipper ejaculation should be measured in distance thrown.

I set the chute on mine so it threw the chip max distance and measure the furthest piece of chip, it was around 145 ft

As for spray pattern, the Bandit 65xl with no chute extension sprays it out at 45 degrees, missing the back of the truck and sprays it into the faces of oncoming pedestrians and traffic

I was told many moons ago that if possible unhitch the chipper before chipping as the vibration can lead to bearing damage on the chip truck . Just what someone told me , dont know if its true or not .

I think it's more to do with vibration damaging the actual tow hitch and causing premature wear :001_smile: but if you sit in the truck when mines running everything rattles, even my teeth.