Anyone available to mill this afternoon/tomorrow/Tuesday?

Rhob the Log

Hello all,

Any mobile millers local to Winchester available to work on a 31" diameter 4m beech tree on short notice? Its for boomtown fair on the Matterley estate. Nice place to work.

Just 2x 2.5" slabs through & through required, more preferable.

It's for bar tops on permanent structures, just need the slabs finished. Access is good, butt prepped and ready to go for Alaskan mill or Lucas slabber.

Lovely folk to work for- joiner named Matt Banks. My saw's clutch is gone so need someone to pull them out the fire so to speak.

Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch.

Cheers,

Rhob

Hello all,

Any mobile millers local to Winchester available to work on a 31" diameter 4m beech tree on short notice? Its for boomtown fair on the Matterley estate. Nice place to work.

Just 2x 2.5" slabs through & through required, more preferable.

It's for bar tops on permanent structures, just need the slabs finished. Access is good, butt prepped and ready to go for Alaskan mill or Lucas slabber.

Lovely folk to work for- joiner named Matt Banks. My saw's clutch is gone so need someone to pull them out the fire so to speak.

Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch.

Cheers,

Rhob

Try sending Simon (Big Beech) a PM.

Alec

Have done Alec, thanks. Will try and get it running again as I caught the bearing pre-meltdown. Needless to say I don't have a spare clutch hanging around so it's a toss up of finishing the work or spending the earnings fixing the saw/buying a new one if anything bad happens.

Figure it may be good for another plank or two if I'm lucky though I wouldn't trust it far.

Here's the butt to be milled if anyone's available. Nicely sat facing downslope.

5976659d5aa5d_2013-08-0409_23_37.jpg.666b5657c61d0886eec2dee8b31a0f85.jpg

5976659d59188_2013-08-0409_38_42.jpg.46664ed0d95426d2acb423ca47830824.jpg

5976659d56c71_2013-08-0409_38_14.jpg.fbc35a9f3650b4986b5770328e2b4729.jpg

Nice to hear Simon,

1 side is off and it's been turned on its side so there's flat sides about 60 deg to the ground. The other side tapers in meaning most of the timber coming off is around the same width. 31" at widest point of cut so a 36" bar with the dogs off will manage, fully submerged.

Let me know as soon as you can if you're able to get down there. I'll let Matt know there's a possible for Tuesday.

Rhob,

yep all done my friend.

met with both Matt and Tom on site 9 am yesterday morning. had a task trying to get in though, which eventually took 50mins!!!

I did 6 more boards in total.

some things I learnt:

Beech of that size is HARD AS NAILS!!

Beech of that size is HEAVEY

Beech of that size is a pain in the ASS!!!

I can see why your saw melted the bearings. even with the bad boy 090 it was slow going with an average board taking 11mins to cut, and one tank of fuel per cut :001_huh:

but it has given me an idea of how this other big beech I have to mill is going to be like cutting, thats approx. 40". I am not quite so keen now, but the planks wont be the 12ft that that's for sure. I will let them be 6ft max:001_smile:

there will be a short video too at some point!

any more, let me know :thumbup1:

Simon

597665a7efffe_20130806_121951copy.jpg.6e2aa69cb545d0bd2347b66ce2e9cb62.jpg

597665a7ebf0f_20130806_100738copy.jpg.3340294936455c4c81a884d3d34a3eaf.jpg

Edited by Big Beech

Spot on Simon!

Cheers for that at short notice. Looks a good job. Lovely smell, wasn't it? Looks like you need some bigger rails on that bar :001_tt2:

You're right on with the fuel. That's a fair way for the saw to travel on one tank. Mine was only just making the length too. It's not soft wood either, but wasn't too bad I thought. You wanna try that downed Oak you posted. You really noticed when your saw dulled though! Imagine it on low revs with liquid plastic gumming up the works :sneaky2:

Did you slab at 2.5" or thinner? The 3 in the background look less hefty than 2.5"?

Cheers again,

Rhob

yeh, 2" they asked for as the needed as many as they could get.

only sharpend once mid way, as the chain was new to start with :001_smile:

the saw performed spot on, so much grunt too hand was good. I am guessing that you may be running an 8 pin on your 88 hence bearing failure?

I do have longer rails, but didn't need them. it was tight, as even though you took the side off it maxed out in the end near to 33" due to the angle of the side cut.

Ive milled oak up to 29" with my 056av, that was quite soft compared to that beech. so I am going to say the big burr oak should be a bit easier than this beech, even if its another 18" wider :lol:

No, 7 pin rim so it wasn't that. Changed it over for a new one between days and there were some fair gouge marks out of it after a half day's use so I'm wondering if the bar's a bit knackered now. Heat transfer via the rim to the bearing? Could be. May run a newer bar for a while and see if it's alright. Trouble is the sprocket was a blackened mess so may have to switch it out anyway. Otherwise, as Alec's said to me, it's clutch slippage. I'll ask a mate to give me his experienced eye on it. Not milling for a while so there's no rush.

I did some Oak last summer that was down over a decade. Hard as nails. Didn't you say the burr Oak came down in the last year or two? In that case, easier going...