Tajfun Processor niggles

Tomatin Firewood

Ye I've got a 380 and have had the exact same issues. It was second hand when I got it and getting through the bars in no time. I ended up flushing out the chain oil tank and line to the bar. Not had any issues with the bar since. I also mix a bit of used oil with the chain oil and that's helped loads as you can spot a blockage (sawdust dirt etc.) I don't like the way the chain is always spinning, it throws out oil all the time which the sawdust then sticks to gets compressed and blocks things up.

Also the splitter ram sometimes goes slow or stops on return if bark and sawdust build up underneath.

The guy who demo'd mine made a big effort to express how vital it is to keep these machines clean and free of build ups of saw dust and kindling type off cut bits. The rack leading to out loading conveyor does get small bits of timber jammed in it quite quickly. just have to be switched on and not push things to hard. I find the 8way knife needs to be constantly moved up and down according to log size to avoid cutting small bits which could cause jams, not sure how easy this is on the 380 (400 has buttons on joystick for this)

Having witnessed quite a few people trying to operate the Tajfun whilst I was loading individual pieces onto the table with the excavator for easy feeding, it was apparent that the actual operator can have a massive impact on production over the course of a day?

You really need to remain focused, as it's so easy to nudge that joystick forward with the log not correctly sitting in the base of the machine, and you end up with a total disaster as what can be a pretty large chunk is forced into the splitting wedge sideways.

The height adjustment has good and bad points, the main issues are sticking and also coming out of the slot underneath that actually provides the raise lower mechanism.

We were fortunate to have the ability to sort the feedstock with the excavator into a range of three sizes, then simply have a good clear out of the machine and set the wedge to the optimum and leave alone it for each size.

There have been no chain/bar issues at present and we've just used new engine oil as it was readily available each time.

It really seems a tortoise/hare game, where doing an hour and having a 10 minute clear up/check everywhere can result in a pretty steady production and stress free day. Rushing at it and a few good block ups will cost big time and could lead to some serious machine damage with the forces involved.

My biggest tip to anyone is learn to use the joystick left handed and keep your other over the access lid handle ready to stop everything and sort out issues.

It puts you in a better place vision wise in my opinion and works for me anyway.

The sawdust extractor fan seems to have almost cured the blocking problem, but there is still the flat steel bar bar to cut out inside the exit hole, that it is now safely covered by the extractor hose adaptor.

I do rate the machines and great to hear others experiences/issues.

Eddie.