stihl fs460 m tronic starts revs peaks dies out.

mowandgo

recently acquired a stihl ms460 clearing saw was going great guns very powerful fantastic for cutting long grass, clearing ect. Then it sarted to mess about low power revs would not peak then it cleard its self then started again. I have had the exhaust off the tank off checkd it all breaths and clear through. I have changed the plug and filter. I looked at what I think is the carburetor not sure what it is its a carburetor in the way it has a choke and a throttle primer bulb diaphragm but its missing a jet well I coukd nit find it also missing hi low screw and a tick over screw instead it has wires which my screwdriver can not adjust. I cleand out the carburetor thingy with compressed air and its still the same. on stihl machines in the past I have similar problems I found a carburetor clean with compressed air and check the listed above and adjyst of the hi low screws always cured any problems however this machine has got the bettrr of me. Has any one else had any dealings with stihl m tronics or can help with thesse troubles?

Cheers Chris.

I took the machine to local mechanic he said its deffentatly over fueling which is

making it choke the problem is because its a seald electrical unit theres no way he can fix it. it has to go to an authorised stihl dealer I fear this machine might be a write off a 18 months old. I hope the new stihl equipment is built to last longer this all the other parts of the machine are in very good condition. I will let you know if I ever fix it. Cheers Chris.

• 1 month later...

Hi strimmer all fixed at great expense. I took it to one of many local stihl dealers but thr only one to have a diagnostics machine the said it was the coil module it fixed it for 10 minutes stupidly I paid them £157 for labour and parts before testing machine. The machine was playing up the same before it went into shop. There are 3 possible parts it could be coil, wiring lume, carburetor. I can fit all these parts myself easly so if I orded them it would be less than £200 I still would have been quids in. I orded a new carburetor what cost £105 fitted and strimmer works great. This leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth about dealers fixing my machines I was told by the dealers it would be very expensive guesing which part was at fault as the 3 possible parts would outway the cost of there diagnosis as they would not be guessing lije I would. Little did I know there diagnosis was just a guess as well.

Hi strimmer all fixed at great expense. I took it to one of many local stihl dealers but thr only one to have a diagnostics machine the said it was the coil module it fixed it for 10 minutes stupidly I paid them £157 for labour and parts before testing machine. The machine was playing up the same before it went into shop. There are 3 possible parts it could be coil, wiring lume, carburetor. I can fit all these parts myself easly so if I orded them it would be less than £200 I still would have been quids in. I orded a new carburetor what cost £105 fitted and strimmer works great. This leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth about dealers fixing my machines I was told by the dealers it would be very expensive guesing which part was at fault as the 3 possible parts would outway the cost of there diagnosis as they would not be guessing lije I would. Little did I know there diagnosis was just a guess as well.

Go back and tell what you just told us ?

Go back and tell what you just told us ?

+1 thats why they are a sthil dealer they should know how to fix it. if it played up after they said it was fixed then its not fixed. so should of had it back and found out fault and given you a quote for repair.

go back to them and say under sale of goods act 1979 that the repair was not satisfactory and did not fix problem and that you require a refund of the money you gave them to leave machine still faulty. did you buy the other bits from them.

i am afraid that not all but some of these so called garden machinery firms charge a lot for there work but the people they have doing the work are unqualified. and half the time guess what is wrong do not fix the original fault but charge then charge more to find the original fault.

all wrong there should be a qualification for fixing these types of kit.

Just shows why I get so busy, anyone who has their kit fixed by me gets the fault done free of charge if not sorted first time round, there are one or two exceptions to this but is generally the case if a full refurb doesn't work fully 100%!

All dealers aren't the same and it is worth telling the dealer what you have found, it is sometimes damn difficult to sort intermittent issues without having a load of wood to cut or a field of undergrowth to strim down and if you don't tell them and give them the chance to redeem themselves, they can't sort your issues out!

well I usally successful in fixing mechanical troubles with saws ,mowers strimmer, hedge cutters etc. What made me take it to a dealer was my lack of experience and knowledge with electronics I find computers boring and have a complete lack of interest in them fixing a pull start spring sharpening hedge cutter blades adjustin mower valves gets me exited might be a bit sad but I love doing it my self. However I could think of nothing worse or boring as solving computer management. Playing with wires testing circuts pluging things into a computer and programing chiping what ever it is they do. I hoped tge dealer would do all that boring technical stuff what I dont understand for me and I dont have to gamble which part has stopped working. The dealer is about 25 miles from where I live it takes 1.5 round trip to get there and back it has left a bad taste iny mouth for so called authrised dealers and as soon as there correct part was in my hand the strimmer was fixed like new in 20 minutes by my fair hands. This means its so much quicker and more economical to fix my self even if I got the diagnosis wrong a couple of times I put this experience down as a valuable lesson if I cant fix a machine myself its more economical to sell as spares or repair than take it to a shop.

• 2 months later...