038av felling dogs.

Joe Newton

Evening all. After a spate of getting a wee bit drunk in the hot summer evenings and bidding on shiny chainsaws on t'bay, I've landed myself a tidy looking 038av Super.

Very much looking forward to its arrival (despite the fact I bid and lost on a 660 and 460 too), but I'd like to get a second set of felling spikes, the ones that bold onto the sprocket cover.

Anyone know where I can get these from for the 038? Or if anyone has a set lying about unused I'd happily buy it off them>

Cheers in advance fellas, now get off the computer and go out into the sun!

Evening all. After a spate of getting a wee bit drunk in the hot summer evenings and bidding on shiny chainsaws on t'bay, I've landed myself a tidy looking 038av Super.

Very much looking forward to its arrival (despite the fact I bid and lost on a 660 and 460 too), but I'd like to get a second set of felling spikes, the ones that bold onto the sprocket cover.

Anyone know where I can get these from for the 038? Or if anyone has a set lying about unused I'd happily buy it off them>

Cheers in advance fellas, now get off the computer and go out into the sun!

1122 664 0501 heavy duty

1117 664 0500 standard size

That's the stihl part numbers. Believe they are about £6 each a few mths ago

my first saw was a 038 i thought it was the re invention of the wheel etc as i was just getting into all this saw malarky for my firewood logburner etc but soon realised i only needed a little saw 024/260 etc and found the 038 heavy and juicy compared to my other saws so it now lives daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarn saaaaaarth ebay,ed off i,am afraid as its was just not the saw for me as this log burner lark has cost a small fortune to set up log store trailer fuel saws etc sorry i,am rambling again i,ll get my coat sorry

my first saw was a 038 i thought it was the re invention of the wheel etc as i was just getting into all this saw malarky for my firewood logburner etc but soon realised i only needed a little saw 024/260 etc and found the 038 heavy and juicy compared to my other saws so it now lives daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarn saaaaaarth ebay,ed off i,am afraid as its was just not the saw for me as this log burner lark has cost a small fortune to set up log store trailer fuel saws etc sorry i,am rambling again i,ll get my coat sorry

LOL cant say ive ever used one but they hold there money and sell for good £££'s so even if its not to your likely you prob wont loose a great deal. :thumbup1:

Ive stuck big dogs on my 044 as only had a skinny one originally. If im honest half the reason was it keeps the bottom of the saw off the ground so it doesn't get roughed up to bad as much as anything plus it gives it a look of aggressiveness. :thumbup:

These are the oversize dogs on my 044. Each dog is a different part number tho but both oe Stihl

stihl04410mm_zps0ecf3982.jpg

My girlfriend is wondering why I'm grinning like a twonk...

That is massive overkill but it just looks so vicious! The kind of saw that will rip your shoulders out, chew a trunk into lots of jenga blocks, then go home and plough your wife!

Cheers dude. I'd be interested in seeing some of the lightweight ones though. I reckon if I climb with the dogs like that it won't be long before my trousers are in shreds!

I believe the standard outside one you want is in the first post then. It should match the original inside one you already have. Just had a look thru my spares but I've just got a new standard inside one like what you will have fitted on your saw. Compared to the oversize ones its 2" shorter in heighth. I know its overkill on my saw but as I say its to protect the base as much as anything as its an early 10mm crank model which is sought after so I try to look after it. 038 for climbing? Rather you than me knowing how heavy they are lol. Be like trying to drag my 075 with 3ft bar up a ladder hehe

I believe the standard outside one you want is in the first post then. It should match the original inside one you already have. Just had a look thru my spares but I've just got a new standard inside one like what you will have fitted on your saw. Compared to the oversize ones its 2" shorter in heighth. I know its overkill on my saw but as I say its to protect the base as much as anything as its an early 10mm crank model which is sought after so I try to look after it. 038 for climbing? Rather you than me knowing how heavy they are lol. Be like trying to drag my 075 with 3ft bar up a ladder hehe

I'll use it for reductions and deadwoods! :biggrin:

I won't have to use it aloft much, but I'm sure I'll realise what you're saying when I do!