Have you seen this Tony / david ?

slack ma girdle

Had a read this afternoon, reminded me of a discussion I had with the Woodland Trust over new woodland development a few years ago and the potential of adding Mycorrhyzal and also 'Saprophytic' fungi at an early stage to help promote recycling of leaf litter to provide the nutrient resevoire that would encourage a healthy growing environment.

I got the impression that it wasn't really considered. Even though there is (cited) literature out there.

Would be interesting to see if their methodology has changed at all.

Seemed to me that they were planting hundreds of thousands of young sapplings (not sure of the provenance) in to a rather 'sterile' farm field environment (although to be fair there was some semi-ancient woodland on the 850 acre site) without the provision of part decomposing woody material in amongst them for the young roots to feed off.

I'm sure Arbs could quite easily provide the material required for fresh woodland sites.

Mmmmm, good article, It's made me remember to follow up a conversation I was having.

A healthy wood is a decomposing wood. :thumbup1:

DSC03908.jpg.432a5fa2181a32afafc57ce064f6ed1e.jpg

DSC03909.jpg.bfdb17a980d8d367ded109c1a526c609.jpg

DSC03907.jpg.7a60d94f7d7be647a0728c963873bdd2.jpg

heartwood-forest-aerial.gif.dbafb065af311f9eda1feb3173511e8e.gif

You didn't write that RSPB advert with the hedgehog tunnels that's on the tv at the moment, did you?

My back garden :thumbup:

It must be the heat, but I have a mental image of you and Hama running around new plantations wafting fungal spores like fairy dust:lol::lol::lol:

Don't have the time anymore, so delegated it out to my kids instead :001_rolleyes:

IMG_8440.jpg.7d040f4491fa58caf9122e67510d9244.jpg