Ashes 2013

Matthew Arnold

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DRS is being used the wrong way IMO. I hate the playerS questioning the umpires, before you know it cricket will go the way of kiss all with the playing ranting and swearing at the umpires. It should be down to the off files umpires in the case of the Broad Lbw where umpires call was not the case to say bad call mate, overturn it. Players are now using it to take a punt...that's just not crickets chaps😜...

Sorry this post is full of typos but you catch my drift...

DRS is being used the wrong way IMO.

in the case of the Broad Lbw where umpires call was not the case to say bad call mate, overturn it. ..

I agree with the first statement in certain cases but I was referring to the broad lbw shout that was absolutely plumb in front and not given after England had used up all their reviews.

I don't like the players using it as a gamble. Ie Clarke and co in the first two tests and Ricky ponting in the past.

In fairness to England today both reviews were fair shouts (an audible edge behind not given - no hotspot... Ok play on and a good shout for lbw broad hitting 49% of leg stump - umpires calls not out play on!).

Adds to the drama, and in most cases (except kawaga today and broad in earlier test) gets the right result.

http://www.aatreesurgeon.co.uk

I agree with the first statement in certain cases but I was referring to the broad lbw shout that was absolutely plumb in front and not given after England had used up all their reviews.

I don't like the players using it as a gamble. Ie Clarke and co in the first two tests and Ricky ponting in the past.

In fairness to England today both reviews were fair shouts (an audible edge behind not given - no hotspot... Ok play on and a good shout for lbw broad hitting 49% of leg stump - umpires calls not out play on!).

Adds to the drama, and in most cases (except kawaga today and broad in earlier test) gets the right result.

Yep totally agree that it adds to the drama, my problem is it was brought in to prevent "the howler" but because players are using up reviews on a punt or a fair shout and the howlers are still happening! So what do you do? Cricket is a game of small margins and I'm sure that most LBW/nicks etc look like a good shout on the field, especially to the bowler who's giving it everything, every delivery!

This is why I love cricket, there's so much going on! TMS on at work again today...after pop master of course😉...

Fair play to the Aussies very dominant batting performance and now we are facing an uphill battle to save the third test. Score board pressure showed in our afternoon session of batting. Occupying the crease rather than attacking (given the situation probably the right thing to do) but as the oz batsmen showed, if you are positive you can score well on this old Trafford pitch.

Tomorrow is pivotal in the series in my opinion. If we hang in there and dig deep with a strong batting performance we are in a great position series wise. Crumple and I fear it's game on again (never take your foot of a snakes neck!) the Aussies will alway come at you hard, especially when they have been down.

So come on cooky and johny trot, lets have the performance of the series tomorrow and swing the balance of power firmly back in our favour!!

Tough on the Aussies yesterday as they outplayed us for large parts of the third test.........but..........Having spent the 90's watching us get spanked I don't care how we go about hopefully winning the series (and in the meantime retain the ashes!!)

Come on England!!!!

advanced arborcare Ltd - Tree Surgeons Poole Home

Hooorraaaaa ! :001_smile:

DRS as we all know was brought in to try and prevent the howler decision. Now if a team wishes to gamble their reviews on a marginal LBW decision or similar and thhen get a rough decision such as the Broad edge behind and they have no reviews left, then it serves em bloody well right.

I'm not a fan of DRS for several reasons, but one is because (which I've not heard before) when say at a pivotal moment in the match we pick up a wicket, I get that feeling of elation and punch the air or whatever and then you realise it is being reviewed, you lose that feeling and don't get it back.

DRS as we all know was brought in to try and prevent the howler decision. Now if a team wishes to gamble their reviews on a marginal LBW decision or similar and thhen get a rough decision such as the Broad edge behind and they have no reviews left, then it serves em bloody well right.

I'm not a fan of DRS for several reasons, but one is because (which I've not heard before) when say at a pivotal moment in the match we pick up a wicket, I get that feeling of elation and punch the air or whatever and then you realise it is being reviewed, you lose that feeling and don't get it back.

But on the other hand if the review does go our way we get two celebrations for the price of one...the second of which is usually ever so slightly more satisfying...

What to make of the claims that KP and other unnamed batsmen are 'cheating' by using a special silicon tape to prevent hotspot from showing the faintest nicks.

As I remember it loads of people used to put tape all over there bats and down the edges to protect them when I played cricket. What's the problem? Is it stayed in the rules that its forbidden?