How about a what makes an excellent Climber thread?

raafbeard

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This comes around every now and again, and depending on the relationship between the said climber and the person giving an opinion it can be very different.

e.g. Yorkshireman speaks from an employers point of view which is valid, but remembering the boss is still the boss, has nothing to do with excellent climbing, but shed loads to do with employability.

All the obvious answers will no doubt be covered inc. strength, speed, safety, nerve etc, but I think from an arb perspective an excellent climber will have an instinctive empathy for the tree he or she is climbing. Phototropism within any species dictates the growth habit of any tree, this in turn dictates the climbing style necessary to make way through the canopy. Understanding this on a empathic level makes an excellent climber. Not just this but the desire to do any work sympathetically is very necessary. i fully understand that the spec for the work is often decided by someone other than the climber, and the climber may well disagree with the spec. But at least understanding why it's wrong for that tree even though one is prepared to do the work is key to good climbing.

Knowing instinctively how the current cut relates to any previous cuts and to the general shape of a tree without constantly looking is a clue to the climbers ability. This of course comes to many with experience.

Clearing up is a soulless job and everyone pitching in together to get the job finished is important for moral. `Diva' climbers tend to not get that much work eventually as their elitism is irritating at best.

Understanding ones place in any team and how to efficiently work within it is always desirable.

A desert compared to Milford sound in New Zealand that gets over 22ft of rain a year. thats 18.4mm every day on average. or 6.74 meters a year.

franz joseph gets 32feet mate, waited 3 days and still didnt get my helihike.

millford sound, homers tunnel,the remarkables,mitre peak. i flew out of milford sound in a sesna ran by glen orchy airlines. one of the most amazing experiences of my life:001_smile:

Nothing more than the person makes a excellent climber. We are all very different so its the ones willing to put that extra effort into thier job that make the cream of the crop.

But the variables are just way to many we are not living in a perfect world so time and money plus customers who dont know the damage they can cause control what we as climbers can do.

Like i said people are different some people like to be proud of their work some are just happy to do an ok job an get paid.

Which are you :001_tongue: