Petzl Ascenders for SRT

Sciadopitys

I use 2 petzl ascenders but with a foot loop on the lower one, backed up with another sling 2 d ring. Not backed up with prussic as both asscenders work independantly

I would go with the red straight ascenders(dunno who makes them) if I bought mine again,
as the petzl are designed for a slight incline and need to be tilted slightly if running up a verticle line which means a slight tweak in your technique.

sounds like cmi,s

So anyone care to discuss SRT????? I was thinking of writing a thread on it this morning as i drove to a job, then logged on tonight and found this old one i put on a while back, but no real response to the origional question! I am very interested in SRT set-ups! I have never used a chest ascender, can anyone give opinions about these as i have just got a Petzl Sequoia SRT by mistake instead of the normal one and i am thinking of keeping it and trying some SRT set-ups involving the Petzl croll. Opinions please!

Also, can anyone show pics of or describe some set-ups for rescue from ground on an SRT line! Seen this loads of times but can never rememember any of it!

Feel free to get as technical as u like - SRT interests me a lot! Just wish i knew more!

Thanks Folks!

Keep the SRT for sure, the only annoying thing about it it the lack of quick release buckles, but I find the regular version's buckle at the front chafes somewhat.

Also the srt attachment is great for footlocking!

Definately try the croll with the sequioa, the croll should be as low as possible to the harness.

The reason no-one can remember srt rescue set-ups is that they are so devilishly complicated.

Think about what you need to do and break it down into steps.

1 ascend the casualties line

2 setup descent system above casualty, transfer yourself to new system

3 setup mechanical advantage system to lift casualty off their system

4 attach casualty to your harness, release their system and descend.

There may be a few finer points omitted there, but you get the general idea

Also the srt attachment is great for footlocking!

Can u expand on this for me please Peter?

Also, u said "Definately try the croll with the sequioa, the croll should be as low as possible to the harness." Why is this??

As for rescue on SRT - i was meaning setting the SRT line up in such a way that a groundsman can lower the victim to the ground whilst still attached to the SRT line by maybe a Petzl ID or some other devise or knot at the base of the tree to save any highly technical aerial rescue!

Is there no way of making a hybrid between the 2 Seqouia so tht i can have the benefits of the SRT with quick release buckle, or is this delibratley left out for some reason?? Must be a reason i just don't know it!

was looking at the tree frog system in the Sherrilltree catalogue, looks rather simple, croll on harness, pantin on right foot, then hand ascender with footloop attached to your main attachment point on the harness! I would like to try this out first before committing to purchasing all of the gear!

The fixed attachment point is a great place to attach a footlock strop.

The lower the croll is, the more freedom of movement you have, and the easier it is to operate the handled ascender.

There physically isnt enough room on the waistbelt for a buckle and the front attachment and the adjusters too.

Also, can anyone show pics of or describe some set-ups for rescue from ground on an SRT line! Seen this loads of times but can never rememember any of it!

The simplest rescue system I can think of is to tie the access rope off around a portaloop enabling lowering from ground.

fig65.jpg.212e1af9aefe168c5d7669d345e24ab4.jpg