Diy vertical ladder mill

Goaty

Trying to develop my own vertical cutting mill, the idea is that you already take to site or use a ladder when milling horizontally. So to cut down on rails and slabs and even cordless driver, if you use the ladder for side cuts.

Im trying to speed up and simplify my set up.

Anyway only had chance to use it once and now quite hectic. So I reckon from the winching idea thread that some on here may develop this idea better than I have so far.

The basic idea is the mill slides along the ladder rails and is adjustable for various ladder widths. Saw clamps to the side so it runs parallel the the ladder side.

First is a general picture.

Second is were I had an error. The clamp bolt nuts are in the wrong place or too big, they cause the mill to ride higher at that side:blushing:

P1050532.jpg.acc0586ec917256f4e67280b85d99ad4.jpg

P1050528.jpg.6f3c7e34e467dc93cf1c93fccabd60be.jpg

That's an excellent idea and a good looking prototype,

I was originally going to make my own alaskan out of metal I have lying around but ended up buying one, having seen your efforts I may not buy a mini mill and try my hand at a little plagiarism;)

Wouldn't the bolts be better off on top?

I like it, good effort.

There's a few things differently on mine though.

Don't have any pictures, I'll try and get some soon(ish).

I've two bits of angle iron, about 40cm long as the "guides".

With two square tubes across.

My saw is held by just one bolt, through the bar. I felt it would make for easier and more accurate depth of cut adjustment. (But I think I'll change that)

Plagiarism is wanted Muttley then I can copy yours.:001_tongue:

Notes: the reason the the adjusting clamp bolts for ladder width adjustment is at the bottom is because if they are at top as they originally where it reduces cutting depth. I just turned it over,I used a 3120xp with a 36 bar at full depth and was suprised how stable it was and the smoothness off cut. As yet have not tried it on a sensible bar size.:001_rolleyes:

A winch setup, which I figure would have to be in the right place to keep true would be alot easier. :001_cool:

That's a really interesting idea, I'd like to try too. This might be a silly question but what stops the weight/pull of the saw tipping the guides off the ladder? Does it all run on the timber, i.e. the depth of the ladder is the same as the guides?

Does that make sense? I've confused myself now...

That's a really interesting idea, I'd like to try too. This might be a silly question but what stops the weight/pull of the saw tipping the guides off the ladder? Does it all run on the timber, i.e. the depth of the ladder is the same as the guides?

Does that make sense? I've confused myself now...

I have only used it the once on a 4ft diameter ash 9ft long. I stood on the log, the saw pulls itself true on the guide. My guides are only deep enough so as not to foul where the ladder rungs come through on the outer side. I adjust it quite snug. But so it does slide.

The aluminium plates are so the wear isnt too severe on the ladder. I did have to chamfer the leadind edge/corner off so that it slide better. I noticed that it jammed and jerked on a dry run without saw in workshop.

For a scale reference the box section steel is 20mm

Edited by Goaty
detail

• 8 months later...
I have only used it the once on a 4ft diameter ash 9ft long. I stood on the log, the saw pulls itself true on the guide. My guides are only deep enough so as not to foul where the ladder rungs come through on the outer side. I adjust it quite snug. But so it does slide.

The aluminium plates are so the wear isnt too severe on the ladder. I did have to chamfer the leadind edge/corner off so that it slide better. I noticed that it jammed and jerked on a dry run without saw in workshop.

For a scale reference the box section steel is 20mm

Nice idea.

I imagine there would be a bit more wiggling (leaving a slightly wigglier finish) compared to the standard v-shaped guides supplied with the Alaskan (vertical) mini mill.

I've half thought about fixing the 2ft v-guides straight onto both runs of a ladder/ or an aluminium rectangular box section may work better (about 6" wide by 1" deep).

Good to see the various solutions :thumbup: cheers, Steve