Traffic Managment costs???

HRG Tree Services

We always put enough manpower on site to have a chap at each end and put cones across the road when on all red. Some drivers are such muppets they try squeezing through the tightest gaps.

In Oxfordshire we have to book roadspace with NRSWA as part of the traffic management act. Arboriculture falls into the same category as other utilities. We had to pay £360+Vat to book road space in Wargrave last year for one day.

Unless you use the traffic management company to actively manage, at least one of your staff will have to have a streetworks qualification unit 2 and someone in the company must have unit 10 too oversee/supervise, (though the person with unit 10 doesn't have to remain onsite.) If you don't have a qualified person onsite and/or you haven't booked road space a roaming NRSWA officer can kick you off the road.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Additional sign board explaining reason for delay was what I was planning but I thought if its only the front car that sees it, it won't be too long before someone behind them comes through. I guess there's only so much you can do. Branch in the road a good call!

I ended up with a full sized red back/white lettering pair of signs explaining what was happening as he original half sized items were 'borrowed' as we were working on a wriggly road. I welded a piece of chain & reinforcing bar to the two signs and staked them to the verge after that. These were slotted in between the usual statutory signage about eight car lengths back from the 'Wait Here' sign.

I also had some courtesy signs made up to warn of the work on a certain day/date yellow back/black lettering. The day/date was left blank and filled in with black marker.

The cost of the Traffic Management in respect to signage, keeping the crew safe and the vehicle drivers out of the site was a juggling act every time we went out! I had some really scary moments on the odd occasion but we never had any disasters with the trees, just keeping the cars under control. You can plan for what you think is ANY scenario and someone manages to circumvent your efforts. BLOCKING the road was always the best way, be it with a branch or several cones and even with the lights on RED we resorted to blocking just to be on the safe side for ALL!!!:001_tongue:

In all honesty the best way to stop cars and keep them stopped was with two uniformed men armed with Heckler and Kosh (spelling) semi automatic fire-arms. But that's another story:blushing:

codlsher