Another possible convert!

Hi fella's,

IMO the answer to your question is a rated Mallion yes :thumbup1:, a biner no :thumbdown:. A rated Mallion is far better than a biner due to a high chance of exposure to cross/side loading forces that could be applied. (Wrench tighten the Mallion).

If your getting started an invaluable resource for me was the TCIA SRT "Best Practices for Arboriculture" It empowers a climber new to single rope with all the information and safety tips in 1 resource.

Thread on the manual here http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/srt-single-rope-technique/49791-tcias-best-practices-srt-arboriculture.html.

Once you go up down and around SRT your Spiderjack will gather cobwebs :lol:

Regards,

Tony

That was the answer I was looking for (bought a 10mm long oval mallion with the RW for that purpose) Sorry for the derail Rob:blushing:

Oh, and I don't use a spiderjack, still using prussic loops:001_rolleyes:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the answer I was looking for (bought a 10mm long oval mallion with the RW for that purpose) Sorry for the derail Rob:blushing:

Oh, and I don't use a spiderjack, still using prussic loops:001_rolleyes:

Hey man, 10mm perfect, I like my friction hitches as well. I do have a SJ but don't use it. :001_huh:

Cheers,

Tony

Had a go on SRT today, first on Ian flatters' unicender then on a lock jack and RW. And WOW, it's super efficient! Something I could see myself enjoying once I've got the hang of it!

One thing I did ask is setting top anchors but still not got my head around fully.

Do you bag in as high as possible then DRT to the top as normal? Or can you SRT to the top? Thinking about it DRT seems the more sensible option if its a bit of a difficult crown to get a good anchor in.

Once you have found your top point, do you have to pull all your rope through to set a base anchor or do you just tie a running bowline to the top? I understand there are load advantages I.e. base anchor is 2x your weight on the anchor point where a running bowline is just 1x. Then it's retreivability, would a throw line attached to the bowline do for retrieval?

Why don't you nomads travel up norf and climb up here :confused1::biggrin:

We are soon, RobArb off uktt has a few trees to scope out first.

Were offering to do the evolution of climbing to colleges who would like a demo and talk. PM me if any colleges are interested.

Rob glad your enjoying it Tonys answered the question fully. I'll stick up the "Johnson" retrievable redirect this week (Judge off here came up with the idea after a discussion we had at the arb show)

We are soon, RobArb off uktt has a few trees to scope out first.

Were offering to do the evolution of climbing to colleges who would like a demo and talk. PM me if any colleges are interested.

Rob glad your enjoying it Tonys answered the question fully. I'll stick up the "Johnson" retrievable redirect this week (Judge off here came up with the idea after a discussion we had at the arb show)

I should have asked him today when I saw him, there are some good areas round here and especially into Lancashire.

I had a play today and tried both top anchoring by using a bowline and steel carabiner on the rope at the top, found that took a bit of jiggling from the ground to make it orientate itself correctly.

A couple of things that's puzzled me a bit is coming back in on branch walks, used to the rope moving being able to pull myself in but it's a bit tricky to get the hang of. Any special technique?

Secondly when I was reaching my top point and ascending up past branches is it just easier to try and climb onto them or take smaller ascend steps to push past? It's a whole new set of techniques and having DRT pull me up with it helps but now the ropes not doing much and it's the tending slack that I'm having the biggest issue with. Doesn't seem as intuitive as DRT but its only my first day SRTing!

Overall it's fantastically efficient on long ascents! Nice big steps means big height gains quickly. Got the perfect job for that at the end of this week.

Next on the agenda, noticed my xtc+ has some slight glazing where I've done speedy lj/sj descents so looks like it'll be a backup rope soon. Which means I get a shiny new rope! Looks like it'll be Marlowe aeris or kernmaster, blaze I wasn't keen on for the sheer amount it milked and don't want the bounce of poison ivy or tachyon. The marlow seemed pretty good the other day when I had a go on it. Ill probably be doing more DRT till I'm used to the SRT but will try and change over a bit more!

Ill gt that tcia book ordered too. Looks a useful one!

I should have asked him today when I saw him, there are some good areas round here and especially into Lancashire.

I had a play today and tried both top anchoring by using a bowline and steel carabiner on the rope at the top, found that took a bit of jiggling from the ground to make it orientate itself correctly.

A couple of things that's puzzled me a bit is coming back in on branch walks, used to the rope moving being able to pull myself in but it's a bit tricky to get the hang of. Any special technique?

Secondly when I was reaching my top point and ascending up past branches is it just easier to try and climb onto them or take smaller ascend steps to push past? It's a whole new set of techniques and having DRT pull me up with it helps but now the ropes not doing much and it's the tending slack that I'm having the biggest issue with. Doesn't seem as intuitive as DRT but its only my first day SRTing!

Overall it's fantastically efficient on long ascents! Nice big steps means big height gains quickly. Got the perfect job for that at the end of this week.

Next on the agenda, noticed my xtc+ has some slight glazing where I've done speedy lj/sj descents so looks like it'll be a backup rope soon. Which means I get a shiny new rope! Looks like it'll be Marlowe aeris or kernmaster, blaze I wasn't keen on for the sheer amount it milked and don't want the bounce of poison ivy or tachyon. The marlow seemed pretty good the other day when I had a go on it. Ill probably be doing more DRT till I'm used to the SRT but will try and change over a bit more!

Ill gt that tcia book ordered too. Looks a useful one!

Ok,

I'll start with terminations, i like for top tie a running bowline with enough tail to tie a double fishermans on the main line.

Although mostly i base anchor and advance my tip point with a redirect, currently using the johnson (today) as it retrievable.

Moving past a branch you can either climb on or use rope pendulum to pass it or an elbow or foot to push away, much like in ddrt.

Limb walking, with the lj/rw i normally take a hand on the rw whilst clearing slack from beneath as i walk in or if you like build a 3-1. It takes a bit of getting used to especially after years of ddrt.

As for rope choice, i loved kern and tachyon with a wrench. But its as usual down to climber preference.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask more questions. Oh and welcome to the srtwp club :thumbup1:

Is there a thread on the johnsons retrievable redirect? It was mentioned a couple of days back and some pics were mentioned.

Sorry, I'm trying to keep up:blushing:

Until i film it theres nothing on record, so this week i'll get it on film and how to tie it/demo. :thumbup:

Hey fella's, here's a PSP pic I pinched from the buzz, its not my concept but I have been using it and find ticks all the box's. If you don't have the length in your rope to run a retrieval to the ground either use the spliced end or tie a termination knot at the pulley/biner and then tie some throw line or small dia cord to the biner and drop to the ground.

Cheers,

Tony

353732-SRTconnection.jpg.1bed4499b9cadebbdfbac65896bd6e8f.jpg

Edited by Tony Knight
Forgot pic