Firewood Business?

Vertigo Arb Ltd

in my area over the last 6 years its gone from 5 suppliers to over 32 that's not counting the small holders and part timers working for cash that we see everywhere. never mind the 2nd home in miami not sure these days you can afford the first home. I do seem to be the only one who is full time firewood the rest have garden centres or haulage company's or joinery shops might be time to charge up the harvester and go cutting instead.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Vertigo the faster that you can process the timber the more you can produce so the greater the profit.Dont try and compete with the £40 a dumpy bag ferternity, produce top quality well seasoned firewood 20 % moisture content and charge top price.you should be able to double your money on each load.:thumbup:

keep it as a side line to your main business. Its only seasonal and there's so many out there selling logs sometimes it aint worth it. If you want start small and buy stuff when you make money. Don't go to big to quick. A 25 ton of cord will cost you between £1400 and £1600 delivered so not much money in it after you saw it, split it, stack it and deliver it. O don't forget the bad back and the customers that know everything about firewood and want a deal for cash and free stacking

Friendly advice here, if you are thinking of going big, and have to buy in wood, your profit will be made only on how fast you can turn it over, half of what you charge on a load will be product cost. So the easier you make it to process and load the greater will be your profit will be. What ever you decide if its a career in fire wood, at the very best you will only ever make ends meet, No second home for you my friend in Miami , just a space next to me on the park bench. :001_smile: and defiantly no spare money despite what ever anyone else says. :thumbup1:

Haha the seat on the park bench is much appreciated!

Seriously guys thank you very much for the help I'm going to have a hard think about it.

Ryan

• 1 month later...
keep it as a side line to your main business. Its only seasonal and there's so many out there selling logs sometimes it aint worth it. If you want start small and buy stuff when you make money. Don't go to big to quick. A 25 ton of cord will cost you between £1400 and £1600 delivered so not much money in it after you saw it, split it, stack it and deliver it. O don't forget the bad back and the customers that know everything about firewood and want a deal for cash and free stacking

haha so it isn't just my customers what think they know about wood. I had one once trying to tell me my load of oak was SCOTS PINE! :lol:

I'd like to see them take you to court on that charge. I can just see the officer notes : I was driving by a house on my rounds when I saw a man splitting logs so I arrested him for not having a waste license.