How much timber makes 1000 kindling nets?

mattplace

I've tried searching but haven't come up with any answers.

Roughly how much timber (tonnage) would make 1000 40x50cm nets with the kindling 6" long?

I've got 15t of Western Red Cedar so how many nets would you expect to make from it?

Thanks for the replies.

I just did a little experiment and cut some 6" rings and split them by hand to fill a net. I've just weighed the net and it's 4.9kgs.

So... A ton should produce 200 nets.

Gensetsteve - are you talking a solid m³ or 6" rings in a m³ bag/box?

Depends on how dry the timber is it will loose half the weight when fully seasoned. If the bags are randomly filled with green timber they will only weigh 2.5 kg when seasoned. Our 14% moisture nets neatly packed weigh 4kg. A 1cu metre bag with loose filled logs will make 60 bags of kindling. You will always make alot less kindling than you hoped from a large pile of cord. A 24 tonne arctic load will give 2000-2400 bags. Doing kindling is ok but its twice the work of logs so you need the timber very cheap.

Depends on how dry the timber is it will loose half the weight when fully seasoned. If the bags are randomly filled with green timber they will only weigh 2.5 kg when seasoned. Our 14% moisture nets neatly packed weigh 4kg. A 1cu metre bag with loose filled logs will make 60 bags of kindling. You will always make alot less kindling than you hoped from a large pile of cord. A 24 tonne arctic load will give 2000-2400 bags. Doing kindling is ok but its twice the work of logs so you need the timber very cheap.

how many nets of logs would you get per ton of s/w ,on an average ??

how many nets of logs would you get per ton of s/w ,on an average ??

I dont think any species hardwood or softwood when green varies much more than 20%. Pitch pine when green I think is about the same weight as oak but dont quote me on that. Beech when green 1 solid cubic metre of wood weighs 1000 kilos. 1 solid cubic metre of wood any species will produce about 80-90 bags of kindling depending on how much gets rejected due to knots.