Chainsaw gloves

I was using my Stihl 150 tother day and after only a short while noticed my left hand tingling from vibration. I was not using any gloves at all :blushing: would something like the 'ARBORTEC AT975 CHAINSAW GLOVES' be enough insulation from the vibes? They have chain protection in both R and L gloves but not anti vibration pads. Should I got for anti vibration padded gloves or would they be a PITA taking away too much feeling from what I am doing?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not seen any AV chainsaw protection gloves though............. AV yes chainsaw kevlar backed yes but not AV & Kevlar :(

Oh............... am I being an old woman for wanting left and right hand protection?

Edited by NorfolknGood

I have not seen any AV chainsaw protection gloves though............. AV yes chainsaw kevlar backed yes but not AV & Kevlar :(

Oh............... am I being an old woman for wanting left and right hand protection?

Yes, well for wanting any protection.

Chainsaw protection evolved in gloves because is could.

In evolutionary terms it is a third nipple

In evolutionary terms it is a third nipple

Sorry not being funny but can you clarify please? I don't pretend to know a lot I'm a newbie at this game but are you saying although necessary legally to be able to take your ticket and carry out paid work you have to have kevlar protection it's actually a waste of time? (I think I'm right in saying it's a legal requirement?)

Next time I fire up my saws I will wear an ordinary pair of work gloves and see if they give any vibration protection at all.

They aren't any sort of legal requirement because there is no law requiring their use.

What happened is a manufacturer decided that it would be a good idea to make them and the working groups (with HSE oversight) that write our industry best practice said, "well we might as well include them" while they may be a requirement for an NPTC assessment that is far from making them any sort of legal requirement.

Wearing cut protective gloves is a matter for your risk assesment

Aha, thanks very much for putting it in B&W for me (simple chap needs holding by the hand :) )

I am still to take my ticket so I will be needing some anyway for that purpose and being an old woman like the idea of a bit of protection even if it only prolongs the agony ;)

I think I will go for (unless Acle Garden Machinery comes up with a better pair/price) for some I seen on Ebay: ARBORTEC AT975 CHAINSAW GLOVES LEFT AND RIGHT HAND PROTECTION CLASS 1 £35 inc delivery

Chainsaw gloves are pretty crap really in my experience, I don't know anyone who uses a saw regularly who chooses to use them - they're expensive, cold, wet, slippery, no protection against thorns etc...

Get yourself a decent, warm pair of normal work gloves would be my advice, keeping your hands warm and dry is more important than cut protection. If you need chainsaw gloves for the assessment, get a cheapo pair and chuck them into the back of the shed once you've passed.

At least, that's what I do...