Carved Bear Colour Advice

there was a thred a while back on this. get a jam jar fill with vinegar and chuck in a couple of iron nails. leave it (with the lid loose) for a few days then pain it on. the tannin in the wood reacts with the solution to darken the wood. I know splinters uses this quite a lot. worth a try but if the wood you are using has low tannin levels its not so effective. you can improve the tannin levels by painting on a few coats of tea (no milk) first. might be worth a try if you want to avoid burning. i prefer burning but remember to oil plenty afterwards cos the burnt-effect will wash off

I guess it will depend on what type of finish you go for I treat the whole bear except for the base with a fencing wood sealer which has a chestnut stain i spray the bear with a black outdoor paint except for the snout and I then use a good few coats of Danish oil on the claws and base. ImageUploadedByArbtalk1370863241.201937.jpg.01a9f0a89bc9a1bde3bfc025545ee3c6.jpg

I reckon paint or dye/stain is the best guarantee for a full colour change.

I've been experimenting with burning lately and unless you burn the **** out of the wood it only burns the prominent surface areas leaving the hollows and recesses un-burned.

The vinegar solution works well too, I've used it in the past with 000 wirewool on oak which is full of tannins and it came out jet black.