NPTC unit CS47 - Chainsaw from MEWP

Sciadopitys

I was just wondering how many of you hold NPTC unit CS47 for usinga chainsaw from a MEWP. I personally do not, but hold an NPTC MEWP certificate and CS40 and 41, but should really get CS47 to be using a saw from a platform? Personally, if you can dismantle and prune from a rope and harness i cannot see why you would need this cert. Maybe to prove you are not gonna drop sections on the MEWP, but thats common sense surely!?! (Even tho we have all done it at some point!)

hi chaps

well the answer is...........HSWA/PUWER etc require adquite training blah blah blah

cs 47 = put mewp in right place and rig the right way take off horizontal sections using step and face cuts with out hitting mewp, then remove vertical sections utilising same cuts and a tag line. you need a mewp cert to do this assessment.

currently cs39 does not include vertical sections or tag lines those are in the world of cs41, so under current guidance supported by hse cs39+41 ok or cs47 ok for using cs from mewp.

when/if the new cs39 takes hold we may have to revise that

does that help?????

kev

bingo your both right and this point is also why the proposed new cs 39 requires at least i think 70% of it to be doe with a top handeled saw.

as for the cs47 useres those ms200 not the T the one with back handle are a sweet little saw for that work, but still a huski man through and through just cant seem to let the 020 as i know it go

• 2 years later...

Hi, does anybody know the best place for cs30, 31 and cs38, 39 training in or around Worcestershire ? I do little bits of tree work at my current job but want to get into the climbing side for myself so any advise would be appreciated, thanks....