Phytophthora soil drench

Craig Johnson

I have a medium holly, in the corner of our garden, which with the wet summer has succumbed to phytophotra(I also lost a laburnum last year next to the holly, which I thought had leaf curl:blushing:)

so once ive felled and ground anyone have any experience doing a soil drench?

the holly is near to a hawthorn hedge that's quite important.

any surgestions, apart from replant with more tolerant species:001_tt2:

I have a medium holly, in the corner of our garden, which with the wet summer has succumbed to phytophotra(I also lost a laburnum last year next to the holly, which I thought had leaf curl:blushing:)

so once ive felled and ground anyone have any experience doing a soil drench?

the holly is near to a hawthorn hedge that's quite important.

any surgestions, apart from replant with more tolerant species:001_tt2:

Interesting question, seems as this is fringe at the moment, when you say soil drench what are you referring to?

I have some, and I mean VERY limited experience of soil drenching.

Doubting phosphite would control phytophthora in the ground. Rated for 'immune system boost' on living trees, sometimes quite effective for that..

Best to work on drainage imo.

too bad (i think) alliette banned over there.

Doubting phosphite would control phytophthora in the ground. Rated for 'immune system boost' on living trees, sometimes quite effective for that..

Best to work on drainage imo.

too bad (i think) alliette banned over there.

we generally only ban things that are to be avoided for the wider implications.

the U.S hasnt even introduced stop bars to chippers as far as I know:001_rolleyes:

We have been recomended to use double rate phosphite foliar feed such as Phorce or hortiphyte on our strawberries (10 acres) research has shown that it does the same as aliette. the plants convert it to the same active (according to ADAS) I can't lay my hands on any references at the moment.Rather than 8l/ha we do 4l/ha twice as frequently/

We have been recomended to use double rate phosphite foliar feed such as Phorce or hortiphyte on our strawberries (10 acres) research has shown that it does the same as aliette. the plants convert it to the same active (according to ADAS) I can't lay my hands on any references at the moment.Rather than 8l/ha we do 4l/ha twice as frequently/

I think the holly is past recovery and want to treat the soil before replanting to stop further infection

Fenomenal seems a very versatile product. It can be a drench, a root dip and foliar spray. On non food crops I,m sure there will be a degree of flexibility in its use. We also use shirlan (a potato blight spray) for raspberry root rot. There is a specific euma regarding this. The CRD section of the hse website lists all sprays/crops situations but is not very intuative to use but ultimately is the most up to date