Reductions

Ross Smith

So what are the views on here of doing all year round reductions on small, medium and large trees ??

Personally I like to do mine in the winter but would like to hear what the general consensus is on the mighty minds of ARBTALK users

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Good question Ross, I was wondering the same myself as I have a couple of largish Beech reductions coming up, in fact I was a little worried until I remembered I've been doing all year round Beech reductions all my career with out any problems.

Good question Ross, I was wondering the same myself as I have a couple of largish Beech reductions coming up, in fact I was a little worried until I remembered I've been doing all year round Beech reductions all my career with out any problems.

Yes, the 'Avoid pruning when leaves are forming or falling' advice is something of a myth; hard to admit that after repeating the phrase a few thousand times, :blushing: but borne out by new research in hamburg and florida.

For beech, spring may be the best time in terms of getting new growth.

Perhaps we are talking about different doses of reduction. >20% rare for me; i do more like this guy Tree Morphogenesis E-Books

so i did not have sunscald risk in mind.. in that case, wait or paint it white. :001_smile:

Painting white here in the Uk is a rarely thought/talked about application.

I suppose one tree aspect we seldom see (even whilst cutting) is the one from directly above which is where mid summer sun can do its fiercest work.

IMG_3650.JPG.1710f0eadd532f01378be335458fcf7b.JPG

"Painting white here in the Uk is a rarely thought/talked about application"

Why not? Very common in other areas, like China, Thailand...:001_tongue: And if done, it need not be talked about, as the paint would be scarcely seen from the ground. Wrapping exposed areas is another option. i've used silver duct tape, a few times

That pic of yours is so severe a 'reduction, stems need protection for over 12 months don't they? so the timing is less important? or do they resprout so vigorously it's soon shaded?

"I suppose one tree aspect we seldom see (even whilst cutting) is the one from directly above which is where mid summer sun can do its fiercest work.

It would be nice to have that view on every tree!

Painting white here in the Uk is a rarely thought/talked about application.

I suppose one tree aspect we seldom see (even whilst cutting) is the one from directly above which is where mid summer sun can do its fiercest work.

Good points and pic.

Have you got any pictures giving incontrovertible proof of damage to trees by the sun in the UK?