CA - Pollarding Application - % of height or volume?

In a CA its not an application its a notification.

The LA has 2 options, they can make a TPO to prevent you executing your notified works or they can let you get on with it

There is a 3rd option, which avoids the TPO and is pragmatic, they can ask you to formally withdraw your original 'notification', in writing, and then re-submit usually for lesser or alternative works as agreed prior.

Worth bearing in mind maybe.

Andy's post just about covers it all :thumbup1:

Paul

There is a 3rd option, which avoids the TPO and is pragmatic, they can ask you to formally withdraw your original 'notification', in writing, and then re-submit usually for lesser or alternative works as agreed prior.

Worth bearing in mind maybe.

Andy's post just about covers it all :thumbup1:

Paul

The operative word there is ASK, they ask and you can decline.

The operative word there is ASK, they ask and you can decline.

Absolutely, you can decline their request but then the tree gets TPO'd. potentially, n you have to deal with that extra layer of administration and bureaucracy. This means pruning is delayed, or possibly stopped, and you can't invoice the client.

As I say it is a 3rd option which can work well in some situations and, dare I say, with some TOs, and worth bearing in mind I think.

Cheers..

Paul

Absolutely, you can decline their request but then the tree gets TPO'd. potentially, n you have to deal with that extra layer of administration and bureaucracy. This means pruning is delayed, or possibly stopped, and you can't invoice the client.

As I say it is a 3rd option which can work well in some situations and, dare I say, with some TOs, and worth bearing in mind I think.

Cheers..

Paul

Or not, if the tree were a good candidate for an order it would probably have got one. For less worthy trees its only natural that the LA would tend toward the "negotiation" tactic in cases where if they TPO'd it they would probably loose at appeal.

When all is said and done the acid test for the LA officer looking at a CA tree has to be, "would I win this at appeal", if the answer is yes then crack on with the TPO, if not then let it go, or try to bluff the owner that you have powers you don't.

As for the admin, well that's just a form to fill in and its free, as for delays, well if it were hand to mouth enough that that was a deciding factor I would go stack shelves for Tesco's

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses on this, all your postings made complete sense.

I've been back in touch with the council and they've adjusted the notice to now say "repollard" rather than any percentage removal.

We're not carrying out the work until next Feb/March, but wanted to have the notification sent in and the paperwork all sorted out way ahead of time. The tree is gradually failing anyway, and I think the pollarding is the only thing keeping it alive.

Thanks again,

Thanks for all the responses on this, all your postings made complete sense.

I've been back in touch with the council and they've adjusted the notice to now say "repollard" rather than any percentage removal.

We're not carrying out the work until next Feb/March, but wanted to have the notification sent in and the paperwork all sorted out way ahead of time. The tree is gradually failing anyway, and I think the pollarding is the only thing keeping it alive.

Thanks again,

E40D.png. Did I just read that right? The tree is failing, so you think that pollarding it will keep it alive?

Far be it for me to teach grandma how to suck eggs, but just to add my ten-penneth here.....

Trees manufacture sugars in their leaves which they then use to form the materials that they use to grow. If you cut off all the leaves (which you will do obviously by pollarding it), you in turn remove it's ability to make those sugars and thus stop it from producing the tissues which it will need to repair itself.

Chances are, pollarding and already sick tree will just finish it off., so you might wanna re-think your works recommendation on this one and look a bit more at WHY it's failing. .

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk