Beginners help please..?

Mikelawn

Hello people,

Im new to carving so please bare with me...

I'm actually a climber but after seeing some of your pictures on here it inspired me to have a crack at it. I see so much good timber just going for firewood every day and seems a shame.

I have started with mushrooms which I think I have got the nack of them now. Problem is I'm not sure how to give them the final touches. I see pics of really smooth and oiled ones. Mine are basically just done with the saw at the min. Here's a couple of questions I would like anyone to answer for me if possible,

To get them smooth you use a hand grinder but what grit sanding discs do you use and do you do a certain grit one and then another?

Once sanded which is best all round oil to use if they are to stay outdoors?

If anyone could help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Mike

To get them smooth you use a hand grinder but what grit sanding discs do you use and do you do a certain grit one and then another?

Once sanded which is best all round oil to use if they are to stay outdoors?

If anyone could help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Mike

Let them dry a bit first - even if only for a month or so. I then use a dewalt polisher with variable speed and a velcro backing pad.

Usually go 60 grit to get saw marks out then 120g, 220g then if you want very smooth 400g.

I have not found any clear oil that lasts outside except - Le Tonkinois but you need 6 or 7 coats to last and also durapox - only needs two or three coats but super duper expensive.

There are other oils I've not tried but the easiest way is to use an oil with a stain as this resits UV breakdown.

:001_smile:

I use 60-120 grit sanding flap discs been contemplating buying some carbide sabertooth donut discs.

I use a decking oil now which I haven't tested over time yet but am very pleased with end result does take around 5+ coats but offers all round protection and a good finish. The beauty of oil is you re-apply annually without sanding over again.

FOr sanding i use a bosch angle grinder with either sanding discs or (more often these days) flap-paddle sanding discs (off ebay, about a quid each, well worth trying. just clean them up regularly with a wire brush). I start at 40 or 60 grit and then move up to finer grit for fine details. If its awkward to the angle grinder in to some places i use a black and decker power-file. expensive tool but works a treat.

finishing i ususaly use deckign protector. needs a lot of coats but does exactly what it says on teh tin. If its a very fine finish (hand finished with 200+ grit sand paper) to be kept inside i use linseed oil (boiled, dries quicker). many coats and polish between coats and you get a great, hard finish

varnishing for outside is an option. i varnished some toadstool seats last year with ronseal outdoor varnish. It was pretty well seasoned oak and i applied a fair few coats of linseed oil before sanding teh surface and then varnish, 3 coats, sand in between coats. lovely durable finish

hoe that helps

• 2 weeks later...

As said above, angle grinder with a backing pad (not the hard plastic ), the cheap White ones are good from machine mart. As already said get a few grits from 60-120 thats about as fine as you need to go before progressing!! Also just in my experience, buy cheapish grinders but spend a little extra on a powerfile and get the makita!! Sandoflex wheels are ideal for a good,fast overall finish for most carvings (apart from shrooms). But mainly practice using the saw as far as poss. When I first started out I had a bad habit of "polishing a turd"....I was putting the saw down far too early and trying to add detail etc with powertools, instead of enhancing the finished carving!

Copy pictures or photos as closely as possible, instead of what you think they look like...reference is the best thing you can buy, the rest is practice. My carving has only (in my eyes) improved recently after 4 years at it, and that's down to reference material and saw technique!

Iv only really used Danish/linseed oil in conjunction with relief cuts and careful selection of timber used...these have proved fine for me. I wouldn't advice varnish as it has a tendency to flake, once checking begins!

In the end if you cock up....it's only firewood and more experience :-)