Sperber Mill on eBay

Howard R

No connection to the seller - but spotted a Sperber Mill and 2x 076's on the Bay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sperber-Chainsaw-Mill-2-x-Stihl-076AV-Chainsaw-Engines

Looks a great bit of kit - but overkill for what i need.

Are they good to use?

The link seems to not work.... try this one

Sperber Chainsaw Mill with 2 x Stihl 076AV Chainsaw Engines | eBay

It does look nice although at £705 already, isn't it all a bit overpriced? It seems Ebay really is a seller's market. Although if you're a two-men operation, would make sense. Can you still get parts for the mill? Try googling sperber and didn't really get anywhere.

Not overpriced - the powerheads look really clean and to have had little use so would make £300-£350 each.

The mill with what's probably a 50" double ended bar is a good £200 worth in its own right and that would be a bargain.

If it doesn't break the £900 mark then you would be hard pressed to buy the equivalent for less. Note, you can definitely buy 076 powerheads for less, but they won't be as tidy or they will need some work before they are in good working order, or you will have been very lucky!

Only comment I would make on the mill design is that, unlike the Alaskan or the Stihl mills, this one runs on rollers. The disadvantage is that this design tends to roll up over the sawdust, making the cut rather uneven in thickness. The Alaskan and Stihl mills scrape the sawdust off which tends to work better.

Alec

Edited by agg221

I must come clean about this one. I was the high bidder and won the auction. I panicked when I saw the post and hoped playing it cool may win the day.:o I am surprised there only was one bidder against me from the beginning. Thanks for you earlier advice, i'm looking forward to putting them to use.

Should be here tomorrow. Very nice person selling them, sent me a great email with explanations and will include a book on milling on CD! I have some horse chesnut that may be my first go. Not great timber but it's there and better to f#@k that up rather than a nice Yew!

I still plan to get an Alaskan mill as well as mini-mill. What size should I go for? I have a 660 with a 36' bar and the 076s come with a 30' bar. What would either of these be running and how would that translate to an Alaskan size?