termination knots

DrewB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have lost me here. I use the yosenite tie off on a bowline after my splice rubbed nastily agains my sliky. I do not understand what your saying. If the knot is tied correctly then there only is one loop however small or large.

Could you elaborate or do you have a pic of the knot with said tie off and problem.

Cheers,

Rich

If you look at the attachment, the yosemite part (the lower of the top two turns) gets clipped into instead of the working part of the bowline. This is more likely if your working part is small, because they then look the same, at a glance.

images.jpeg.75864b843e3212b51a9670e957e345c6.jpeg

If you look at the attachment, the yosemite part (the lower of the top two turns) gets clipped into instead of the working part of the bowline. This is more likely if your working part is small, because they then look the same, at a glance.

False and dangerous statement.

I don't understand how?

Sh*t happens. I think when ive thrown it over a branch it took a couple of attemps to get it over, since it was covered in bloody ivy, and the knot had come undone no completey and i clipped into the wrong part. That'll teach me to check!!

I just use standard bowline, not with yosemite tie off, i just put figure of 8 on the tail end, to terminate it.

Three years ago I used the yosemite tie-off as well. I clipped into the wrong eye and fell 8 meters (~26 feet). From that day on I got eye splices in all my climbing ropes.

I only use the bowline with yosemity tie-off for rigging!

False and dangerous statement.

do you mean because you think i meant you SHOULD clip into the yosemite loop instead of the bowline's main loop?

Explain it better if you can, by all means, rather than just saying it's wrong - that doesn't help anyone and is just plain rude, in my eyes.

Three years ago I used the yosemite tie-off as well. I clipped into the wrong eye and fell 8 meters (~26 feet). From that day on I got eye splices in all my climbing ropes.

I only use the bowline with yosemity tie-off for rigging!

Sorry to hear that... You say you clipped into the wrong eye? If the knot is Tied Dressed and Set correctly then there is no wrong loop to clip into. I am not saying this couldn't happen but as a climber I always visually check the knot before clipping into krab. There has never been a wrong loop yet. Any knot if tied incorrectly may lead to failure. IMO the failures of the knot are down to the climbers error and not the knot itself (if it is TDS correctly).

anyway peeps, keep looking and keep safe.:001_cool: