A cheap idea for log splitter

The Worker

Stubby where did you get the shaft from?

The shaft is a piece of 40.0mm dia mild steel . The cone can be had on ebay ( just type in log splitter on your search and refine it from there if you need ) Make sure you get one that has been heat treated , or a tough replaceable tip . The whole thing is driven by a duplex chain off the Honda 13 hp engine It really needs to be twice that power to get the torque to split the gnarly stuff but on big rounds of easy splitting stuff like syc it is way faster than my hydraulic one .

that's a world away from that jagged piece of cr@p mounted onto that hillbilly's pickup. :001_smile:

Granted . The only effort required is to lift the ring up onto the table . Just slide ot to the cone and it does the rest . Pulls itself on and splits . Like cutting a cake !

The shaft is a piece of 40.0mm dia mild steel . The cone can be had on ebay ( just type in log splitter on your search and refine it from there if you need ) Make sure you get one that has been heat treated , or a tough replaceable tip . The whole thing is driven by a duplex chain off the Honda 13 hp engine It really needs to be twice that power to get the torque to split the gnarly stuff but on big rounds of easy splitting stuff like syc it is way faster than my hydraulic one .

Sorry it was just the cone I was intrested in buying

had a look on ebay and the prices are like 100 quid for a lump of metal (which I will not be spending) when you can buy a roughneck log splitter for 10 quid

screw log splitter | eBay

it would be cheaper to get someone with a lathe in a machine shop to make one up

Edited by The Worker

Sorry it was just the cone I was intrested in buying

had a look on ebay and the prices are like 100 quid for a lump of metal (which I will not be spending) when you can buy a roughneck log splitter for 10 quid

screw log splitter | eBay

it would be cheaper to get someone with a lathe in a machine shop to make one up

The "lump of metal " as you rightly say IS machined on a lathe ! It has a , for want of a better word , a razor edged buttress thread on the taper and is made from high carbon steel and heat treated to make it tough rather than hard . Some have a screw in replaceable tip . If you can get some one to turn one up cheaper and heat treat it then you are on to a winner . See how much you can make on the first 50 off .....

Well I guess there ant that many of them coming off the production line otherwise the metal would of been melted in a mold not on a lath

I dont know about getting it heat treated but I could certainly get a back street machine shop to find a lump of mild steel in there skip and cut it for 10/ 20 quid

But I would need to know the length, diamitor of the drill and pitch and death of the thread

Edited by The Worker

Well I guess there ant that many of them coming off the production line otherwise the metal would of been melted in a mold not on a lath

I dont know about getting it heat treated but I could certainly get a back street machine shop to find a lump of mild steel in there skip and cut it for 10/ 20 quid

But I would need to know the length, diamitor of the drill and pitch and death of the thread

Mild steel would be no good . Not enough carbon in it . You seriously think someone would screw cut a tapered buttress thread bore out the hole and finish it for £10 ?? Could you ?? you would be hard pushed to do it for £60 even if you had a cnc lathe .

Edited by Stubby