How do i go about LOLER?

Joe

basically today one of my lecturers at college who is a LOLER inspector said that your kit has to be LOLERd by whoever you work for, and has to be inspected by a LOLER inspector sent out by the insurance company, and if you leave that company that you work for, or go and work for someone else it invalidates that LOLER certificate that your kit had:confused1:. i thought that was ridiculous, and surely the LOLER certificate would be the kits, and it dosent matter who you are working for as long as your kit has been LOLERd less than 6 months ago, you could carry that LOLER certificate "with the kit" so to speak. can any one clear this up please and explain exactly how i get my kit LOLERd and how it all works.

cheers

Joe

basically today one of my lecturers at college who is a LOLER inspector said that your kit has to be LOLERd by whoever you work for, and has to be inspected by a LOLER inspector sent out by the insurance company, and if you leave that company that you work for, or go and work for someone else it invalidates that LOLER certificate that your kit had:confused1:. i thought that was ridiculous, and surely the LOLER certificate would be the kits, and it dosent matter who you are working for as long as your kit has been LOLERd less than 6 months ago, you could carry that LOLER certificate "with the kit" so to speak. can any one clear this up please and explain exactly how i get my kit LOLERd and how it all works.

cheers

Joe

not wanting to cause problems here but a few points are wrong

in general insurance companies do not send out loler inspectors

although local Authority DO and probably big nationwide companies

Your loler cert is for your kit no probs taking it else where

If you are a employee your employer should provide PPE and is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance which would include loler check.

I know not all employers provide kit and thats fine if thats how it works that way

hope that makes sense and if anyone disagrees please feel free to say so

In brief:

Yes your boss is obligated to ensure your kit has a 'thorough examination' (inspection) under the loler regs every 6 months for climbing & 12months for rigging.

New kit, if provided with certificates of conformity does not need inspecting for 12 months ( but in reality it would usually be done within 6)

If you are a subbie then you would typically arrange the inspection(thorough examination) yourself.

The inspection is relevent for the kit not the firm (but you will probably have to get your boss to photocopy the paperwork if you leave)

It is extreeeeemly rare for an insurance company to 'send' an inspector but they will now, typically, ask to see a copy of your in date jinspection certificate when taking out a policy/ for a renewal

if youve any more questions just give me a ring, hope that helped, mike

Edited by Andy Collins
to advertise please contact S Bullman