Power carver advice please

bofh

Hi folks, I brought this item a while ago and know nothing about it really. I had a look at the so called blade today and to me it seems knackered. I've had a go at piece of stump with it and it only seems to melt/burn.

Any advice welcome :biggrin:

powercarver.jpg.61e6d6a372954849efb59ebe8b59d239.jpg

powercarverblade.jpg.331a04f370d97193efd95bbe598a9610.jpg

Sharpened one of these for a guy recently, IIRC used a 4.8mm file.

Watch yourself with it, this guy has a nice scar on his leg from it, but then like he said it was blunt at the time and he was pushing like mad with it.

Yeah sharpen it with a round file make sure you get the right size try and keep the cutters all the same length as you would sharpening a chainsaw. If you don't know how to sharpen take it to your local tree surgeon they'll do it for you.

For god sake be careful with it they are lethal and you are missing a guard if you are new to this type of equipment. I'd suggest looking up the sabertooth grinding discs they strip wood out quickly and are long lasting.

lets be clear here mate, any blade that close to your hand is dangerous. I almost lost my index finger a month ago using a similar too (lancelot) with all the guards + safety kit (plus a lot of experience with chainsaws, grinders and other tools). 2 rounds of surgery later and im starting to heal. be really careful and slow with it eh? I'd hate for anyone else to go through what i been through.

fit the guard and wear well-fitting gloves. eye protection too, they chuck out a lot of chips.

as for whats wrong with it, just looks like it needs a bit of a sharpening

good luck

Many thanks for the advice chaps, I'm just recovering from a bad moment with a chop saw and my thumb nail so I'll be taking it super slow :-) I shall get hold of a file and give it a good sharpen.

Anyone got any links to one of these in use so I can get an idea of it capabilities, it mentions a cutting depth of 20mm.

I'll certainly check out those Sabertooth disks as well.

I use all kinds of chainsaws power tools for carving and I would not use that tool, especially not without the gaurd.

They do kick and often go right for the jugular. If it does not have a deadman's switch (most don't) they are even more dangerous if they catch a finger or a glove.

Most often they "twist" in your hand and grind off a good bit of flesh before you can react!

A friend recently bought a similar tool and I "begged" him to return it!

He listened. You should too!

this kind of grinding tool is good for removing a lot of material and is pretty safe

Galahad CG | King Arthur's Tools

there are alternatives of course

Power_Carving

this is another alternative, looks safer but i dont know that its so useful for carving, more for bowl carving i think. might get one tho

Arbortech TURBOPlaneTM

DO NOT GT ONE OF THESE

Lancelot and Squire Cutters | King Arthur's Tools

unless you like hospitals of course ;)