climbing irons/spikes, best to use ?

TF-G

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

geckos with buckle bottom. I found the velcro came loose during a heavy session and moth balled mine, just changed them to buckles now and there out of retirement and feel great. Get american style spikes too i had the european ones and they are horrible.

Spikes are spikes.

So long as the pad provides enough support and is comfy to you.

Most modern climbing spurs will fulfilll your needs.

Ive personaly used Buckingham(several varieties), Kliens(same), and alloy Bashlins.

The Distels look great if a little pricey to source over here ?

Best I found for reasonable affordability is Buckinghams with the steel wrap 4" velcro, angled shank. Downside of the velcro pads is they will eventualy lose their 'stiffness, and ater couple years of solid use they just dont hold like they do when they are new.

If your not a full time production climber, just using them for occasional take downs you can get away with non replaceable buckinghams. Unless your walking over a whole lot of rocky terrain you will never need to replace the actual gaffs.

If you treat the spike well, use covers when and if walking in them, they will last a really, realy long time. Ive never known anyone to replace a set, Im sure theere are plentty of guys who need too, but not us...

I have a spare set of klein tree gaffs and old logger gave me a couple years ago, happened to be running Kleins at the time, we were climbing trees in the ROW behind his house, as I was walking out he came out for a chat, and handed me a set of klein long spikes, asked if I could use em, damndest thing lol.

But so far the spike just doesnt need to be replaced.

I carry my spurs to the base of most trees, can ony walk in them if it is safe, that usually means terrain that is easy ib the spurs id I leave them on getting to the next tree, very common on a ROW.

Im not one to file my spurs every couple of trees, see above...as long as the edge is still there, and I dont have to pound the spike in, I'm good.

Treated well that edge will last a good while, file slow and steady, trying to keep the steel as cool as possible,a cold filed edge lasts longer !

Good luck with your new spurs, Im sure the Distel will be da bomb.

Edited by Grais