Health & Safety Deregulation Bill - Exemptions for the self employed

WorcsWuss

Interesting article in the press this morning....

Queen's Speech: Self-employed will be exempt from health and safety rules - Telegraph

How would this tie in with the refresher training for forestry operatives being discussed recently....?

I'm all for cutting down one H&S...it could be a great thing if it happens.

Won't effect us anyway

Measures in the Queen Speech people will exempt “from health and safety laws those self-employed whose work activities pose no potential risk of harm to others”.

I think it depends where you're working but I'm inclined to agree.

I reckon that outlawing 'claims management companies' or 'accident lawyers' would make a far greater, and beneficial, difference.

It wil be interesting to see just what the bill means though.... Perhaps a 'step in the right direction' rather than any useful difference.....

That is of course assuming that left leaning MP's don't trample it to protect the bureacracy....

Dean, thats the first bit I noted too.

Also, many self employed arbs are actually under guidance from an employer of sorts so employment law still governs. If it allows more people (SE) to work on their own in back gardens away from the public then fair enough, but no ones actively stopping anyone doing that at the moment so no real change.

Won't effect us anyway

Measures in the Queen Speech people will exempt “from health and safety laws those self-employed whose work activities pose no potential risk of harm to others”.

Not sure I agree, not having your climbing gear LOLER'd, does not put others at risk, neither does having no rescue climber.

Also using a chipper with no stop bar or a saw without brake.

There is also the whole "lone working" thing.

I think this could effect some of us a great deal, in a good way :thumbup1:

For those working as part of a gang then they are all at risk from each other and they are (possibly) making profit for an absent boss so nothing changes their really, but yes Dave maybe no need for LOLER and rescue if your working on your own, but there isnt any need for nay of that now anyway. No one gets loler done for any other reason than to gain contracts or as part of insurance requirements, and if your ( a person) working on their own then you not going to worry about insurance and theres no law about that already so no change there.

For those working as part of a gang then they are all at risk from each other and they are (possibly) making profit for an absent boss so nothing changes their really, but yes Dave maybe no need for LOLER and rescue if your working on your own, but there isnt any need for nay of that now anyway. No one gets loler done for any other reason than to gain contracts or as part of insurance requirements, and if your ( a person) working on their own then you not going to worry about insurance and theres no law about that already so no change there.

Not sure you need to be working alone, if your the boss and the climber, then even with ground staff you should be OK with out another climber.

Won't effect us anyway

I'm sure the "in's n out's" of this could be hotly debated for some time but I'd previously rather dismissed this proposed exemption as N/A on the basis of the above n I'm pretty sure that's the view HSE would take.

Hence "stay as you are" I'd say!

Cheers Dean :thumbup1:

I'm sure the "in's n out's" of this could be hotly debated for some time but I'd previously rather dismissed this proposed exemption as N/A on the basis of the above n I'm pretty sure that's the view HSE would take.

Hence "stay as you are" I'd say!

Cheers Dean :thumbup1:

You would:sneaky2::001_rolleyes::lol: