What saw to buy?

TreeAb

Hi all looking to buy a new saw to replace my husqvarna 254xp, just putting it out there for ideas and opinions you have got? size of saw should be about 50/55cc and will be used as a every day general saw and some forestry use. cheers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's loads of threads on this now, but IMO you couldd do worse than considering the 550 from Husky. For a 50cc saw it flies, and handles like an old 242.

The 560's got more go and not a lot bigger or heavier, but there's a couple of guys on here really don't like them (but loads more that do :laugh1: )

Sheppard has covered it, 550 or 560! :D there's nothing else really, apart from jonsered

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

If jon sees this thread omg :lol::lol::lol:

The 254 is a legend the guys are right those two are the choice is ya get one that works -which I'm sure once the other guys look in you'll find all about lol-

If not them then you either have to go second hand or bigger

Sound, will look in to them. opinions on the stihl 261? been to dealer and he surggests this one.

did the 550 have auto tuning issues?

There is a thread on 560's lol but dunno bout 550's .......Stihl well that the wrong brand for me lol

Sound, will look in to them. opinions on the stihl 261? been to dealer and he surggests this one.

I can't really comment on the stihls other than my experiences of older ones have been less than great - just that they always felt sluggish and a bit docile.

550 wise, mine's a 2011 saw and as far as we can tell one of the first ones actually sold (rather than a demo saw) and it's been fine. Took a bit of getting head round the auto tune and restarting but that was just because it's subtly different to the older ones. They don't seem to have suffered any of the niggles the 560's did, and the only upgrade Ive been offered, but as yet not done, is to the fuel tank breather. Apparently the carb can flood when tipped on their side, making them hard to start and the new breather solves that - mine's not been a problem as far as I can tell.

When the autotune stuff came out I was openly against the idea of it, but so far I've coped, and the difference in power seems to be worth it. I find I use my 550 for stuff I'd always taken a 357 to.

Only mod I can suggest right out of the box is to dtch the spark arrestor screen - makes it pick up loads better off the bottom.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Looked at (and used) 260/261, I find them rather sluggish, sure they have more power to lean on, but the husky will have finished the tree a good few mins earlier. I have a 560, I have no issues with it.

On another note, if you buy a new saw, what ever it be, run it hard from word go!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App