World's 8th Largest Tree

mdvaden

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Mario. I only saw lots of homeless, nothing like that young lady. Enjoyed my stay though and glad you encouraged me to take the time to look around properly rather than rushing. Also interested in the camera and lenses you're using.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Oh ...

To go along with that last bit of red I posted from the Arcata / Eureka area, here's some "wood" to go with it.

red + wood

5976662a82267_JenII_5_600BW.jpg.e243a44cb07267d7ae1760e11625605f.jpg

Yep we did get to see the Carson Mansion. Spent a bit of time in Arcata and driving through Eureka while we were tiki touring. Plenty of homeless in Arcata but then we saw that in a lot of places. Maybe transient is a better word. Spent most of my time trying to get decent photos in the Redwoods and trying to drive and not crash. Far to much time looking up and not at the road.

Yep we did get to see the Carson Mansion. Spent a bit of time in Arcata and driving through Eureka while we were tiki touring. Plenty of homeless in Arcata but then we saw that in a lot of places. Maybe transient is a better word. Spent most of my time trying to get decent photos in the Redwoods and trying to drive and not crash. Far to much time looking up and not at the road.

Funny .. know what you mean about not crashing. It's not rare that I need to park the truck and get out to walk because I find it's easy to get distracted rubber-necking at the trees.

Actually, there's a butt-load of transients in Eureka / Arcata. Per city block, I'd swear it's in league with Portland near the waterfront and downtown.

Funny .. know what you mean about not crashing. It's not rare that I need to park the truck and get out to walk because I find it's easy to get distracted rubber-necking at the trees.

Actually, there's a butt-load of transients in Eureka / Arcata. Per city block, I'd swear it's in league with Portland near the waterfront and downtown.

They were all pretty good to be fair and we helped a few out with some coin for food.

I lost count of how many times I'd drive 100m down the road and pull over AGAIN. Photos just don't do justice to the trees, no matter how good they are although yours are way better than mine Mario. I also found that Scotia was quite a strange but neat little place. Enjoyed looking around the museum there and learning about the floods but its quite sad to see just how much of the original Redwood forests have been decimated by logging.

They were all pretty good to be fair and we helped a few out with some coin for food.

I lost count of how many times I'd drive 100m down the road and pull over AGAIN. Photos just don't do justice to the trees, no matter how good they are although yours are way better than mine Mario. I also found that Scotia was quite a strange but neat little place. Enjoyed looking around the museum there and learning about the floods but its quite sad to see just how much of the original Redwood forests have been decimated by logging.

Ha !!

Don't have any photos of a local Scotian, but do have a photo from Scotia ...

This photo stitch is sure going to look puny in the forum thread though ...

steam_donkey.jpg

logging_museum_800.jpg.2dac68d44c4023680a11628623464ebb.jpg

Edited by mdvaden

I think the wife got a photo of the steam donkey. The hotel looked quite cool too.

At one stage I walked into a grove of massive trees, lay on my back and looked up. Quite extraordinary how small it made you feel. Also found a banana slug, which seemed to fascinate some kids on a walk.

[ATTACH]134692[/ATTACH]

LOL ...

The fallen Dyerville Giant. And then there's those signs saying to stay off fallen logs ... but there's kids running across the top of them every few minutes.

That Humboldt Redwoods State Park is remarkable.

This photo is actually in Jedediah Smith, but I was laying on my back looking up as you described.

Stout_Wide_600.jpg.118aba7a490446406dcf3659fe634624.jpg

On your advice, I visited both. Drove down from Lincoln and Newport and parked up at Arcata for a couple of nights. Did both the parks along with the trees of mystery ( had to do it). The info centres were really helpful with maps and advice. A couple of places we had to share with screaming hoards of kids but most we were able to have to ourselves.