CS30/31 revision - stress!

Hi all,

I am currently undertaking training on a combined CS30/31 course at Ian Morgan Arb training in Staffordshire.

Whilst the training is extremely formative, and my instructors are very helpful, I am struggling to revise and remember everything that is in the assessment schedule.

Does anyone have any tips for remembering the schedule, I'm desperate to get it right and pass first time.

Cheers all!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app

I'd worry much more about being able to demonstrate that your cuts are good than remembering every detail of the assessment schedule. Trees on the ground in the right place in a safe manner is what assesment should be about. A good assessor should be able to draw the information out of you he (or she) needs.

Safety is paramount , underpinning knowledge is a close second ,

You can explain the context of the operation to the assessor as though you werehis instructor ,

so prior to arrival on site I would ensure I had checked for ,,,, Ca Tpo sssi

on arrrival I would assess habitat , risk and do an assessment taking into account ,,, birds bats badgers . footpaths access over head service , then establish a emergency rescue info on a risk assessment ,putting it into place via written risk assessment and put into place the control measures to ensure you control risk ,, ie signs

then you'd look at the terrain and establish a work plan with collegues

I would then look at the selected trees their neighbours establish issues and plan accordingly , then ... fell them using appropriate selection of cuts to do this i Would using my chainsaw once checked and wearing the correct ppe .... perform cuts to make a felling cut that matches the trees dynamic and choosen felling direction taking into account wind or other variables ......

Edited by Yorkshireman

remain calm and dont rush

Yes, it should be a test of competence, not speed (but don't be geologically slow).

Most assessors I've ever met are reasonable people who are quite able to get the information out of you they need. They are not going to fail you because you didn't give them the exact phrase from the book in the exact order it's written in.

Having recently done my CS30 and CS31, I'd certainly say Spruce Pirate is spot on. If you put the trees on the ground in the right place and in a safe manner thats the main thing. As far as the questioning is concerned, mine was very relaxed and you'll be suprised at how much you take in without realising it. Just relax and enjoy the course.

Yeh it's all about being safe and correct it won't be get a question wrong you fail! Don't feel pressured and rushed.

I've got my utility assessment on Friday so I'm feel a little anxious As well !!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

For every assessment I have ever done I have always talked myself through everything I have done. A running commentary if you will. Like when doing a VTA, will walk around the tree calling things out as I see them.....i.e on approch to tree will be looking up and saying to myself"no dead wood,crown looks healthy","small hole at the base check for heave/burrowing critters". As your doing it the assessor will be checking things off his check list and won't bother asking about those things because he can hear you saying them.