Woodland show near Cambridge - 11th May 2013

Wolfie

Still looks promising for going tomorrow, not sure what time yet but I will be identifiable as the one with the harassed look, trying to keep the 2yr old and 4yr old daughters vaguely under control!

Alec

We went; so did Ed (Wolfman) who was arriving as we were leaving. Didn't stop as he was on the phone and I was lugging a screaming 2yr old under my arm. That would have been around 3pm.

About 10mins later the rain tipped down and we got soaked walking across the Gogs to the carpark (it's free in that one and a pleasant walk across the down, when it's not raining horizontally).

The event was small, but kept the children amused for as long as they would have been interested in anything. There were plaster of paris green men to paint, badges to colour in, May crowns to make etc, all indoors, and the local wood turners were doing a demo, making spinning tops and giving them away to the children.

Outside there was maypole dancing (No.1 daughter was impressed) and juggling/diablo/plate spinning etc. to do. There was a green woodworking demo, which was quiet - a bit of besom making and someone trying to use a pole lathe which didn't seem to be going too well when I was there. Also some heavy horses.

There was an old timber tractor, and a modern MEWP next to an arb stand. Also guided woodland walks. The site itself has the iron age ditch to walk round and some pleasant woodland - if you have more time you can go out onto the roman road which is in good condition over the back of it.

Oh, and the wood fired pizza oven was doing some of the best outside catering I've had in a long time.

All in all, for a local, free event it was pretty good. Wierd and Wonderful Wood next weekend will be much more comprehensive, and will provide a lot more entertainment (definitely going if the weather isn't tipping it down) but of course it's not free.

Alec

was u on the phone to me ed :lol:

Yeah, parked in the middle of the access road. Didn't see Alec but can remember lots of kids coming past. That's when I thought that I better move the truck out of the way.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

We must have passed like ships in the night, Alec. I got there about 10 minutes before Ed.

I did actually approach a guy with two young daughters:

"Excuse me. You're not Alec, are you?"

"Yes. Hello."

"Brilliant. I'm Alex. I bought some planks from you via arbtalk last year."

"What?"

"Arbtalk?"

"Errrr..."

"You're a sawmiller, right?"

"Nope. I work in IT."

What are the odds?!