RopeArmor Ropeknight ultimate throw weight!

Old Mill Tree Care

Ok, so the purpose of this thread is to share information. There have been two Ropeknight threads on the Climbers Forum and both contained plenty of bickering about the cost and materials used.

So in the interests of progress lets avoid that and focus on what is good, bad and ugly about the Ropeknight.

On paper it ticks every box for me relating to what I want out of a throw weight:

Accuracy.

Ease of use.

High quality.

Durable.

Environmentally friendly.

Multi function is an added bonus.

I opened the box and it all fantastic. Very high quality precision engineered metal parts and the soft covers appear to be very simple and a perfect fit.

I had worried that it may be a bit fiddly to insert the throw line and set it all up but now I've seen it for real, that's not the case.

Very impressed so far.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Great thread Old Mill.

My impressions were the same as yours. From receiving a self contained box kit through to the workmanship I was happy to depart with the coin.

From the vid I assumed the fid was required to 'load' the line all the time, NOT the case. It is easy to thread by hand and I can do it even with gloves on (the screws a lot more difficult though :001_tongue: ).

It throws or shoots extremely well and flies as near to perfectas you'll get.

One feature that is brilliant is the 'Ropeshield'. Whether installing a climbing or tag/rigging line from the ground its always driven me crazy pulling and jamming. SRT through multiple crutches. :thumbup1: 3/4" braided or 3 strand :thumbup1:

The only thing I've added to the kit so for is a short dedicated red handled T-Bar Allen key to 'nip' the screw easily.

Just stay out the way if your pulling it out unloaded and without the soft protector (or wear you helmet), I haven't clocked myself but I could see a trip to cas if one did.

Summary, for me it makes throwing far lessor of a chore.

Cheers.

TK

Overall 9.5 out of 10 (dad said nothing was ever perfect).....

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do people think that you need to be already quite good throwing with a throwbag to use this? Or even if your not great would it help you improve?

Sent using My c

One does not need to be good at throwing when one can buy oneself a BigShot.

👍

Just fired a few times into a Poplar. OH MY GOD!

It's so accurate. Henry, who has rarely used the BigShot, isolated a branch at 95 feet on first attempt.

Now, the reason for the accuracy was in small part due to my new BigShot Archery trigger and mostly due to the RopeKnight.

It was 100% accurate when the BigShot was held steady.

We both observed on every flight that when the RopeKnight reaches a certain height it flies straight like an arrow.

I wasnt worried about fragile targets, i was wondering what would happen to the expensive throw weight. I work in london and do lots of private square gardens with lots of mature 25 - 30m planes and most are all or partly over roads/hard surfaces. Occationally my throw bag pings off a branch and drops full pelt 20m + onto tarmac/york stone. Its that sort of scenario im wondering about. I know it has that foam cover but that has to seriously impeed performance?? Just picking your brain as i am interested.

I don't have enough experience yet to answer these questions Coleman so hopefully someone else will step up.

Although, I don't think the vinyl sleeve will affect performance. I reckon the foam sock will slow down flight. Both will make the high speed landing much softer so maybe the answer is that you use it naked except when the risk is too high.

I bought the RopeArmor just to do the “difficult”shots where bags kept getting stuck in trees, Cypress trees with matted dead foliage on the interior or Euc. trees that have a lot of sucker growth as a result of repeated defoliation from pests. I left it unused for a couple of weeks because all of the work I was doing was easy.

When I did pull it out to do some Cypress trees not only did it snake down through matted foliage like a dream but it made rope retrieval so much easier than I have had it too. Truthfully most of the time I just do a lazy retrieval where I leave RopeArmor on the throwline/bigshot line put a clove hitch on my climb line and pull it back over with the end of the climbline coming along first and the RA dangling beside and a few inches behind that . One difficult crotch I came to I just pulled my climbline back to me a few inches and then when I pulled on the throwline hard I noticed that the RA pitched up and over through the crotch and then the climbline followed along. It was only as I was working a little latter in the day that I remember seeing that on a YouTube video somewhere.

Also use the RA for setting pull lines in trees that I used to climb to get a line in proper position. RopeArmor has become my first choice and I have bags with me if I chose not to use it on occasion.

Interesting post merle:thumbup: I will get a ropenight:) I think of throwlinig as branch fishing so I suppose it's like a fisherman and his assortment of "flies" ...so it's the way forward for me. With a weaver a ropenight and a 10oz Slug I shall always be prepared:thumbup::rolleyes:

Interesting post merle:thumbup: I will get a ropenight:) I think of throwlinig as branch fishing so I suppose it's like a fisherman and his assortment of "flies" ...so it's the way forward for me. With a weaver a ropenight and a 10oz Slug I shall always be prepared:thumbup::rolleyes:

Branch fishing, I like that.

When we were doing practice shots into a big Poplar I attempted several times to pull the RK back through some branches and it slid back through forks like a buttered soft banana.

Situations where my throw bag or Highball would have got stuck for sure.

Also, my history of isolating branches is worse than useless. With my new best friend, Mr R Knight, I did it straight away!