Fantastic.

Quercus-90

Your guess is absolutely miles out mate.

I install glass for a major company and most places will do that size for around £60-90. Toughened/ laminated with bevelled edges. Pre drilled provided you detail where you want holes. Average turnaround is two weeks.

We paid £60 for these panels. Roughly a meter long and all predrilled. Just pay for it rather than claim.

:thumbup1:

I really hope your right! This has helped me so much! Was looking at one of my "stressed business owner" no sleep nights!

If its that, they can fit it! And I'll pay out myself no worries! It's a big contract and the people are lovely.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was that a stone thrown by the stump grinder?

Done a back window of a car like that once.

Not 100%.... Had to phone the property owner and ask if it was broken before we got there! Was either strimmer or mower. They have slate chip over raised beds and a shingle drive, so it's entirely possible some had made it's way into back lawn.

Most annoying, been doing the job the same way for 2 seasons! Just bad luck I guess.....

I really hope your right! This has helped me so much! Was looking at one of my "stressed business owner" no sleep nights!

If its that, they can fit it! And I'll pay out myself no worries! It's a big contract and the people are lovely.

Seriously, first time we started installing glass we assumed it was expensive for toughened and laminated glass. It honestly isn't. Glass is pretty cheap. The stainless posts mind...are not.

Fitting is also a doddle. Takes us about 10 minutes to fit the inline panels and square them up. Make sure you get exact dimensions though for the holes and sizes. You'll also know when it's tight when re-fitting. It's hard to over tighten glass fixings. If it's laminated glass just be carefull when handling it and don't touch the edges on the floor. They 'split' and chip if you're not careful.

Think we pay a fiver extra per panel for edges bevelling too so again not much. That panel should take two guys, (one to hold the glass, one to do the fixings) about 10-20 mins to replace without any prior experience.

Hopefully you'll sleep better tonight. Hardest part of the job is transporting it to site as you tend to drive very carefully and defensively. :laugh1:

Seriously, first time we started installing glass we assumed it was expensive for toughened and laminated glass. It honestly isn't. Glass is pretty cheap. The stainless posts mind...are not.

Fitting is also a doddle. Takes us about 10 minutes to fit the inline panels and square them up. Make sure you get exact dimensions though for the holes and sizes. You'll also know when it's tight when re-fitting. It's hard to over tighten glass fixings. If it's laminated glass just be carefull when handling it and don't touch the edges on the floor. They 'split' and chip if you're not careful.

Think we pay a fiver extra per panel for edges bevelling too so again not much. That panel should take two guys, (one to hold the glass, one to do the fixings) about 10-20 mins to replace without any prior experience.

Hopefully you'll sleep better tonight. Hardest part of the job is transporting it to site as you tend to drive very carefully and defensively. :laugh1:

Well I was the same! It has only cracked on one side, so it's laminated for sure, looks about 2-3 layers very thick! Must be re-engorced....

Haha I think I may just let the nice glass chapy's fit it! Don't want to be paying for 2 panels :biggrin:

Well thank you very much for setting my mind at rest!

Well I was the same! It has only cracked on one side, so it's laminated for sure, looks about 2-3 layers very thick! Must be re-engorced....

Haha I think I may just let the nice glass chapy's fit it! Don't want to be paying for 2 panels :biggrin:

Well thank you very much for setting my mind at rest!

No worries mate. Most balustrade glass is laminated. Average 12mm but various depths available. Hazarding a guess but most companies will bill you for 2-3 hours for that. Travelling etc and fitting plus overheads/ profit etc. we had a panel to replace in Manchester city centre a few weeks back and charged £280 supplied and fitted.

Fit it yourself though. It's genuinely easy to do. Provided you have time for running around sorting it out spare. If you were up here I'd have sorted it out for the cost of the glass and a bottle of malt. ;-)

No worries mate. Most balustrade glass is laminated. Average 12mm but various depths available. Hazarding a guess but most companies will bill you for 2-3 hours for that. Travelling etc and fitting plus overheads/ profit etc. we had a panel to replace in Manchester city centre a few weeks back and charged £280 supplied and fitted.

Fit it yourself though. It's genuinely easy to do. Provided you have time for running around sorting it out spare. If you were up here I'd have sorted it out for the cost of the glass and a bottle of malt. ;-)

Thanks again for the soothing words of wisdom! :thumbup:

It's only held on with Allen headed bolts/screws I'm sure two of us can carefully fit it.

Haha and if you we're down here be assured I would bite your hand off....may even offer you two bottles..... :biggrin: (Glenmorangie fan here!)

Just had the quote to replace the panel.

£1051+fitting+parts!!!!!!

Insurance excess is £100! And I'll be looking at a 20% increase next year.

Hey ho......

So each panel cost the owner over £1k when it was first built :confused1:

Someones trying to remove your trousers somewhere i think!

Worth a dig deeper into the price of that glass i think, or offer up plenty more bottles of malt and a certain someone may be tempted to travel :laugh1:

Just had the quote to replace the panel.

£1051+fitting+parts!!!!!!

Insurance excess is £100! And I'll be looking at a 20% increase next year.

Hey ho......

Someone's surely taking the mick there. Who's that from? Parts? What parts? Reuse the fittings already on it. Do you have the sizes of the glass?