Whoa lol

Craobh

Have to say I'm struggling to translate - I've not been eye to eye with a hard Dutchman since my sailing days!

:001_tongue:

LOL and best advice don't get head to head with this one either lmao you might get squished and the only thing gonna beat ya to the hosp is the headlights on the ambulance .......oh and I guess that the HSE might want a word too :001_tt2:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically a block hard up in the face on one side ........you cut the holding wood of that side leaving more on the other .......when tree falls it will pull to the side with more hinge and the block acts like a pivot ......you may here it called a step dutchman too

Please don't any one try it it used to swing trees to lay on the lead.

maybe not well described but I can show it in practice lol

Yea Iv done that sorta tapered hinge so it rotates around on the thicker side .

Yea Iv done that sorta tapered hinge so it rotates around on the thicker side .

yep it a useful tech the block just gives you more chance of swinging it further if that makes sense. I guess it just another trick in the bag to get the job done.

I'd suspect it not taught over here (which is cool) as misuse can lead to disaster and injury. I'd guess most of the tricks and techs I been taught would be seriously frowned on here. I guess where I learned to fall we had not so many "toys" at our disposal usually just saw, wedges and stubby so you had to learn to get round things to get the job done.

Some of the things I seen I'd never use and would boot some one up the rear (very hard) if I saw them trying it

similar but the back cut a tad diff ......it easier to do as the soft dutchman can't move the hard one can. The soft one you can do with a humbolt the hard you can't as obviously it wouldn't stick

the soft as you saw works better if your going against the lean .......the hard use more to turn or as I saw swing the tree. All regions of the US use diff terms and there a major diff in techs too and it causes major arguements as to who is right.

IMO both have there fors and againsts it personal preference and how and who you falling for. The size and end use The humbolt does certainly limit fibre pull but on steep ground it not always practical or the safest

There are 3 basic variations of the dutchman I know Swing, hard or step and the soft all really are a manipulation of the holding wood and the back cuts are slightly different as are the faces used. All are designed to cope with the heavier leaners head, back and side.

I would not advocate the use of any of these methods to anyone as without proper knowledge they are dangerous.

In no way are these the only methods just I guess the ones I use

kinda wish I had shut up now lol

please no offense meant

There are 3 basic variations of the dutchman I know Swing, hard or step and the soft all really are a manipulation of the holding wood and the back cuts are slightly different as are the faces used. All are designed to cope with the heavier leaners head, back and side.

I would not advocate the use of any of these methods to anyone as without proper knowledge they are dangerous.

In no way are these the only methods just I guess the ones I use

kinda wish I had shut up now lol

please no offense meant

Not offended at all . I am old but never tooo old to learn !! :thumbup:

Not offended at all . I am old but never tooo old to learn !! :thumbup:

cool .....I guess there more timber falled by hand stateside than here now so may be more tricks used

Buddy I've been falling for 30yrs and some of my friends still teaching me and I still want to learn

The hard or step you need a large enough dia and a big enough tree to actually make it work ie. get the action from the trees natural movement. the soft too really but the swing can be used on smaller dias there are kerf cuts too but so help me they are getting to last chance saloon and circus tricks lol.

I wish we had brought some of our pics back where I think there some of the cuts I described along with me jacking some which was real fun any well wet the pants stuff lol