What is the best all round saw ?

Kris

I think that sadly, as with much in life, there is no perfect allrounder. If you were to arbitrarily say that a Husqvarna 560XP was just that, then it would be much too big for scrub clearance or work in young stands, as well as much too small for large hardwood felling and chainsaw milling.

My best advice would be try to decide what it is you think you want to do and buy the most appropriate saw. Also, don't go bigger than you need to - it will cost more to purchase and run and most of that extra power can be found in a smaller saw with excellent chain sharpening technique.

Jonathan

Most sensible reply so far Big J. Wish I had said something like that .

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In truth imo (I'll get jumped on lol) there isn't a total all round saw......each has it's pro's each it's cons .....everyone has their favourite and loves. It really depends on what you wanna do with it??? I'm not being rude or trying to teach ya to suck eggs (that a different thread lol) but you want a more powerful saw ok cool.....Why? .....you looking for a saw for ground work ....falling and bucking? one to climb with (yep I know I'm not an arborist and climb differently)? one to limb with? etc etc.

The bigger the saw the heavier it is (yeah no brainer there) ok it will rip bigger and pull a bigger bar .....cool maybe!!! eg Do ya want to have to go up a tree lugging a 365 etc ??? I climb (as rarely as I can) with a 372 pulling a 26" bar if I'm topping out. It not the easiest trust me. Ok put a smaller bar on even a 365 etc well sounds good .....but it wiil cut maybe a tad quicker than you expect which may not be that cool. I do get a bit irked (but hey it a free world) when folks want bigger saws and then stick small wiggle sticks on them......they not meant for that!!! you'll either blow the pot (maybe depending on how it tuned) or you'll cut so quick accuracy may be an issue.

I am in no way calling into question ability etc just trying to be balanced. In the fair time I've been cutting and I've seen so many folks always wanting bigger and more powerful saws and I've seen em get hurt!!! badly!!! trust me on that.

I'm gonna ask this straight ......have you handled bigger saws with more power and grunt? Not wanting an arguement but if not then think about it

I've falled bucked etc etc things up to 30" with a ported 357xp it light got grunt and is very easily handled

Buddy you can spend alot of money etc on saws and not get what you want just figure out what your likely to do and go from there as time goes by then go bigger etc time and experience can't be circumvented

jump on me guys if y'all wish to lol I am no saw geek ( I break em I get my saw guru to fix em) but I've used and handled alot of saws and think I know a wee bit lol (but opinions do vary)

above all be safe and keep cutting

In truth imo (I'll get jumped on lol) there isn't a total all round saw......each has it's pro's each it's cons .....everyone has their favourite and loves. It really depends on what you wanna do with it??? I'm not being rude or trying to teach ya to suck eggs (that a different thread lol) but you want a more powerful saw ok cool.....Why? .....you looking for a saw for ground work ....falling and bucking? one to climb with (yep I know I'm not an arborist and climb differently)? one to limb with? etc etc.

The bigger the saw the heavier it is (yeah no brainer there) ok it will rip bigger and pull a bigger bar .....cool maybe!!! eg Do ya want to have to go up a tree lugging a 365 etc ??? I climb (as rarely as I can) with a 372 pulling a 26" bar if I'm topping out. It not the easiest trust me. Ok put a smaller bar on even a 365 etc well sounds good .....but it wiil cut maybe a tad quicker than you expect which may not be that cool. I do get a bit irked (but hey it a free world) when folks want bigger saws and then stick small wiggle sticks on them......they not meant for that!!! you'll either blow the pot (maybe depending on how it tuned) or you'll cut so quick accuracy may be an issue.

I am in no way calling into question ability etc just trying to be balanced. In the fair time I've been cutting and I've seen so many folks always wanting bigger and more powerful saws and I've seen em get hurt!!! badly!!! trust me on that.

I'm gonna ask this straight ......have you handled bigger saws with more power and grunt? Not wanting an arguement but if not then think about it

I've falled bucked etc etc things up to 30" with a ported 357xp it light got grunt and is very easily handled

Buddy you can spend alot of money etc on saws and not get what you want just figure out what your likely to do and go from there as time goes by then go bigger etc time and experience can't be circumvented

jump on me guys if y'all wish to lol I am no saw geek ( I break em I get my saw guru to fix em) but I've used and handled alot of saws and think I know a wee bit lol (but opinions do vary)

above all be safe and keep cutting

I got one for every occasion so don't have to swap bars .........

DSCF0022.jpg.6d5147944e23ab96cd3eaaa2972f7b40.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg.46f63b66368aad63d5ad9fc626b43584.jpg