Farmers & the Law.

Andy Collins

I was approached by a farmer, who has an oak that he wants to remove within a conservation area. I told him of the conservation area regulations, but he says that as a farmer, he has the right to remove any tree up to 1foot dbh. I havent heard of this before, and recommended that he still contacts the council for approval, prior to its removal. All I want to know, for future reference, is whether he is right?

I know in the old days farmers de-nuded the landscape of anything that got in the way of their machinery, in the quest for bigger yields.

The idea of felling licenses was to control farmers and land owners from felling trees for firewood. They are allowed to fell a certain quantity every quarter as long as the wood is for their own use. If they wanted to fell more they would require a felling license from the FC. The FC states that when considering an application,it will check with the local LPA to ensure that the trees are not TPO or TCA. From that you can assume that the farmer is talking a load of bull.

he knows I'll only take on the job if it goes thru the correct channels, I made that clear!! I know what you're saying mate. I know several cantakerous farmers too! One threatened to shoot me once for fornicating in the corn :D

Bollux .......... just eaten a bowl of corn flakes :puke: