stump grinder teeth sharpening

hamdogg

Hi all, just wondered what evay one used to sharpen there stump grinder teeth with, ive just been using my bench grinder with a fine stone wheel but it doesnt seem to get a decent finish on the tooth, i know the diamond discs are prob the best thing, just wondered if there was some cheaper options?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to laugh when I read posts like this, you want a cheap way to sharpen stumpgrinder teeth because the way you have been doing them doesn't do the right. Buy the propper disc for the job and that's it sorted. End of. I have a diamond disc and its great and for the money is good value. Buy cheap buy twice. Like my mate he bought a cheap waterproof jacket and the moaned when he got soaked.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Hi all, just wondered what evay one used to sharpen there stump grinder teeth with, ive just been using my bench grinder with a fine stone wheel but it doesnt seem to get a decent finish on the tooth, i know the diamond discs are prob the best thing, just wondered if there was some cheaper options?

I used to sharpen teeth when I first started stump grinding, but quickly came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it with the cost of grinding discs for the bench grinder and the time spent on it. I used a standard disc for touching up the steel and a green disc for tungsten carbide. These green discs are expensive and they wear out quickly. It's worth considering the health issues too, the dust produced from sharpening the teeth is carcinogenic, so I'd advise a mask.

Battery grinders are crap, I tried one and it just does not have the guts and runs down to quick, maybe ok for a quick tickle though but I never liked it.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone the other day I was told that when sharpening stump grinder teeth I should grind off a little bit of the undersite of tungsten. That's the bit which actually hits the stump.

I just grind off themetal part of tooth + edges of tungsten tip to make nice sharp edge. Let me know your opinions whether i should do the undersite as well.

I used bench grinder, metal disc and green disc (C60 J5 V15 FA 8584688 200x20x31.75) but yesterday got the diamond bench grinder disc from Abtec4Abrasives / Sanding / Grinding / Polishing (Bench Grinding Wheel. Diamond Abrasive / Abtec4Abrasives) and the diferrence it made is great. Less dust, less vibration, minimum of sparks and nice smooth finish.

I was wondering whether I still should use the other metal disc to grind off metal portion of tooth and then grind off the rest of tungsten with diamond disc or do the whole tooth with diamond disc. Dont want to ruin the diamond one, quite expensive but should last 20x longer than green one mentioned above.

cheers for the reply

Edited by Drikonus