which is the best course to start of with???

Wolfman1388

Hi Wolfman, look ont tinternet for a college near you that does NPTC chainsaw courses and the give them a call. You want CS 30/31 to start. Call local tree firms asking for any work, brash dragging to start and get you foot in the door. Good luck.:)

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Hi Wolfman, look ont tinternet for a college near you that does NPTC chainsaw courses and the give them a call. You want CS 30/31 to start. Call local tree firms asking for any work, brash dragging to start and get you foot in the door. Good luck.:)

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Good advice there......You gotta start at the bottom and work up even after you get your quals you'll still need experience and that comes from "doing it" and being around folks that can do it. Learning from them. The knowlegde I gained packing gas cans and watching was and is priceless courses teach basics and no more

i would say getting on a diploma course in arb is the best place to start, there are too many people with all the tickets and no theortical tree knowledge to back it up, these course will provide you with ad quals like NPTC certs, but a good place to start is learning tree ident, basice tree science, p's and d's etc. its no good having all the tickets if you dont know what your pruning and why.

short term for a job, yes tickets are important, but in personal career development and becoming a knoledgable arborist, its crucial to learn about trees in more depth

hope that helps

I started a career in Arboriculture last year at the age of 24. I gained my CS30 and was lucky enough to get employment soon after. Since then I've gained CS31 and CS38. I'd love to be able to study towards a diploma but realistically how many 25 year olds can afford three days off work a week? Sadly I think studying an online RFS certificate is the only viable option for myself.

If you don't already have one the first place to start is by getting a driving license. I seem to get a lot of guys asking for work with tickets but without a license they're not really employable. Has to be said that this is more forestry than arb, but all the same, my advice is get a driving license first. Then basic tickets (30,31), then get some basic experience before doing more advanced or climbing tickets - learn to walk before you start trying to run.

hi folks..ive found this course by a complany,luckilly just a few miles away from where i live...what do we think of this as a starting point?

NPC Training

it doesnt say how much the course is,but ill ask my benefits advisor when i saw her today.

(*im only claiming jobseekers,as i work for an agency doing temp warehouse work,but as its far too unreliable..so ive had to sign on and go part time at the agency..i am willing and want to work..i thought id explain as i dont want to be typecasted as another scrounging doley bum.)

cheers,

Wolfman

Job centre should be able to help you and still be able to go to college.

I did the 3days week course, its only 9months and i worked around it doing 40+hrs else where.

The full time course id say is best, as said it teaches you the basics in why things happen and why do prune etc.

Start with cs 30,31.

From there itll open up for example 32,34,38,39 and 41.

Good luck