Ms 880

Jonathan O'Leary

Hi Guys,

Last year my old 084 kept blowing its head off, so took the plunge and brought a nice shiny 880 with 4ft bar. Few days later got the call to say it was in the shop and ready to go, great. Got it home and like any of us would gave it a start up, ran wonderfuly, untill a block of metal flew out of the end of the bar, WTF. Closer examination and turns out it was where the option fittment can be attached. Called the shop back up and they said it was proberbly just not knocked out in the factory, not to worry. Ok.

Next week the job a brought the saw for, 6ft round Euc, was underway, all down barring the trunk. Wanted to clear up first so broke out the monster, thought it was a good idea to break it in gently on a 2ft limp. All good for 20 mins then it started to die when under load, would run fine when not cutting but the minue it started to cut really struggled. Called shop back up, being a Saturday wasn't sure they were still open, they were just, so they waited for me being only 10 mins down the road.

Got there, told them what was happening, to be asked, "do you know what your doing?", bit annoyed at that, yes i do thanks. Guy said he had to ask. Their guy took it out to their log pile, 5 mins later came back saying it wasn't cutting well, kept stalling out. They said they'd look at it, but might have to go back to Stihl. Went back to customer and explained, he was understanding so all good, got everything but the trunk sorted and cleaned up, said we'd be back as soon as saw was back with me and I'd keep him informed.

Fast forward 2 months, lots of phone calls, saw going back and fourth between the shop and stihl, stilh saying there was nothing wrong with it, shop videoing it and sending it to Stihl, Stihl saying send it back. Customer starting to get frustrated, he even phoned my shop to check I wasn't telling him lies. They confirmed there was an issue with the saw. Finally got a call from my shop, saws back, we've tested it, all working fine. Shot down there to get it straight away. Turns out there was a hairline split in the oiler and it wasn't allowing oil to the bar under load. Called customer to be told the trunk has just been dropped that day, but still wants me to stump grind it and ring it up. Doh.

That was last November, ringed it up with 3ft bar and all good. Did another big Euc two weeks ago and this time the bar tip was burning, both top and bottom. Chain was grapping but loose on the nose. Had to finish off with the 084 with 24 inch bar, made for a tough day. Shop sorted it out that day and saws all good again.

Did I just get a runt saw or has anyone else had issuses with new saws?

Sorry for the rant and the essay, just really frustrated by being made to look a fool by an expensive bit of kit, twice.

It happens.

Mate bought a Freelander last week, pre-reg, 3k on the clock. Day after it went back, back windows not working.

They kept it, ecu fault. Had it back a couple of days later, out in it, overheated and broke down.

Main dealer said they'd swap it. He phoned me yesterday to say they were offering him a top of the range sd4 one with 20k and an extra warranty. I told him to take it.

He phoned me this afternoon. Broken down again.

Don't have the one which had managed 20k but took another like the first one, a td4 s, and it broke down in Hereford, same problem.

Suggested he go back and get the one which obviously works.

Or stop driving because he's obviously too hard on cars!

It happens.

Mate bought a Freelander last week, pre-reg, 3k on the clock. Day after it went back, back windows not working.

They kept it, ecu fault. Had it back a couple of days later, out in it, overheated and broke down.

Main dealer said they'd swap it. He phoned me yesterday to say they were offering him a top of the range sd4 one with 20k and an extra warranty. I told him to take it.

He phoned me this afternoon. Broken down again.

Don't have the one which had managed 20k but took another like the first one, a td4 s, and it broke down in Hereford, same problem.

Suggested he go back and get the one which obviously works.

Or stop driving because he's obviously too hard on cars!

no buy British buy Japanese lol

Bar tip burning - is it the 47" duromatic bar? Still not sure why Stihl do not do a 4 foot sprocket nose bar but they don't... lot of heat build up on the solid tips and this sometimes causes problems with chain tension and the chain sticking in the bar.

Not a fan of the solid tips for large chainsaws and mid sized ones - they only do well on carving bars where the chain is run a lot looser.

I think the solid nose bars where better in days gone by when perhaps the sprocket noses weren't as good quality as today and saws revved lower and were more torquey...

:001_smile: