Honda Quad spares

Pat Ferrett

An acquaintance of mine bought an old Honda atv, thinking its a nice cheap machine. He budgeted for around £200 to sort it. It needed a new exhaust, now obsolete, to cut about a different one and make it fit used most of the £200, then it needed other bits. Generally, they're sold on because they're old and knackered, and not cost effective to repair. I just replaced all the front end bushes with new genuine parts, cost me best part of £200, plus paid my lad for fitting. Money doesn't go far on machines.

I must say that some motorbike exhausts do also fit. I was looking for a new one for the trx that I fixed. Found a motorbike one that would fit perfectly for only 30 quid from ebay.

With a bit of searching parts from other machines do fit these bikes.

Pat. Could be better than the trx350 above then. That one was 1984.

Will see what I can dig up on them.:thumbup:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An acquaintance of mine bought an old Honda atv, thinking its a nice cheap machine. He budgeted for around £200 to sort it. It needed a new exhaust, now obsolete, to cut about a different one and make it fit used most of the £200, then it needed other bits. Generally, they're sold on because they're old and knackered, and not cost effective to repair. I just replaced all the front end bushes with new genuine parts, cost me best part of £200, plus paid my lad for fitting. Money doesn't go far on machines.

Yeah your dead right there Andy and the saying " throwing good money after bad " springs to mind but Im one to look on the bright side of things.

Im not looking for the quad to be a show winner just good enough for bombing about lamping and maybe pulling a small trailer with a saw and hedge cutter on some of the bigger sites.

Just been looking at parts pat.

You could be ok with this one. Can get oversized piston rings for it. But by the sounds of it the piston should be ok. But tests will determin otherwise.

Best thing is to get hold of it. Rag it around for a short while and see how she is running. I take it you have had it running yourself to find out it smokes for a bit then stops?

It starts and runs ok just smokes,

It came from the estate my cousin manages and has been in the barn for 4 years un touched, the new owner of the estate wanted it gone so my cousin drained the tank which has a leak in it :blushing: and used the battery from his quad to start it up, hence me buying a new one.

Ill give it a good thrash, check the gears and let you know :thumbup1:

Ok. Just looked back and forgot a very important question. What colour is the smoke?

Good news and bad. Parts are available for them. Most gasket sets are available uk. But main engine parts are America.

The Americans love these bikes. Hey call them tanks. They just keep going.

Being sat in a shed for four years is NOT good. Before you thrash the bike put a tablespoon of oil in the cylinder and leave it for a short while then fire it up and leave it running on tickover.

Worst is where it has sat the rings have formed a bit of corrosion on them and by starting up after four years you could damage the cylinder. This is what happend with the trx350. It spent the best part of a year sitting in the yard awaiting parts from America. (They sent the wrongs parts so had to mess about with them)

Hey Pat. I had a couple of ATC250s- just like a TRX250 but with three wheels- sometimes a good thing, sometime not :lol:

One of the bikes had a non standard exhaust fitted- big old thing just welded on with a step down pipe. Incredibly quiet when running.

Anyway, parts were readily available on eBay or Rafferty Newman at Petersfield (sometimes pricey though!) Also, if you can get your hands on an ATC250ES for around £200-250, then that would be a cheap donor.

HTH

Hey Pat. I had a couple of ATC250s- just like a TRX250 but with three wheels- sometimes a good thing, sometime not :lol:

One of the bikes had a non standard exhaust fitted- big old thing just welded on with a step down pipe. Incredibly quiet when running.

Anyway, parts were readily available on eBay or Rafferty Newman at Petersfield (sometimes pricey though!) Also, if you can get your hands on an ATC250ES for around £200-250, then that would be a cheap donor.

HTH

Cheers for the advice

Theres a screw on the carb where the fuel line comes in, undo it now and then when the engine is running and it will drain out any water in the carb. Really helps with the running.

Thanks to Andy for that tip!!

Theres a screw on the carb where the fuel line comes in, undo it now and then when the engine is running and it will drain out any water in the carb. Really helps with the running.

Thanks to Andy for that tip!!

Cheers for the tip :thumbdown: the bloomin thing is leaking fuel now :laugh1: