Info on Inonotus hispidus please

gardeningdave

Hi there, although I'm not a tree climber, I have a keen interest in things arboricultural, especially when it concerns felling specimens in our local area. Someone has applied to fell a TPO protected Ash because the Council tree officer thinks it might have Inonotus hispidus. He says there is no evidence of brackets, and some info that I have suggests that this fungus is rare on Ash (though looking at some posts on this forum says otherwise), and mainly appears on dead trees. Can anyone give me definitive chapter and verse please ? Thanks. :confused1:

its certainly not rare and it affects live trees. possibly the worst fungus that affects Ash. Daldinia concentrica is a common fungus on Ash which is saprophytic and grows on deadwood, perhaps this is where the confusion lays regarding that.

Do you know what has led the tree officer to diagnose this without the evidence of brackets?

The thing is with Inonotus his. is the Ash tree wwill often look healthy and vigourous, so you'd need a very good reason to sugest a fell, also i think i'm right in saying its position is also key as if its on one limb then only that limb will be prone to failiure, i've reduced affected limbs befo9re and retained the tree.

Only in certain situations, like lots of high risk targets, fruiting bodies on main trunk or bifurcation points multiple brackets etc. have i done fells

The fruiting bodies should be evident, i've seen one today on a Juglans near me, if its not present in the tree then the fallen brackets should be on the ground and a tell tale sign on the trunk in the form of a black roughly diamond shaped stain.

Off topic a bit but can anyone tell my the significance of Ino. his on Walnut? as i can't find any details in the few books i have, I know Ino. is not considered a serious risk on London Plane due to its high levels of lignum.

"Inonotus hispidus is the most frequent decay fungus in Fraxinus ex (Ash)" Quote from Lonsdale,Priciples of tree hazard assesment and management.

Cause of white rot,results in brittle fracture. weakens Ash wood at early stage and it's presence often indicates that breakage ot the affected branch or trunk is imminent.

Fruit bodies can appear May to Feb,but can often be found all year after they die off (Black). Often find them on the ground around tree. I have found that the diameter of the fruit often matches the diameter of the decayed area within the wood. We often recommend felling depending on targets or at the very least heavy reduction.

Hope that helps abit

Edited by Topcat