Aussie Rules

Mark Bolam

Spending some of this joyful winter in Oz, mainly Brisbane.

They seem to have a lot more respect for the trees out here. The only reductions I have seen are line clearance work. Palms etc. growing literally through porches, right next to structures everywhere. Heaving pavements retarmacced (rather than trees removed), even saw a main road split today going either side of a big gum.

Thing is, there are loads of arb companies in the book (yes, I am that sad), and I just wonder what kind of jobs they do with their 18'' chippers.

Is it mainly just felling stuff that has had it and utility work?

Mainly some of you who have worked out here can enlighten me.

Awesome place. And the way everyone has pulled together for the Victoria fire victims is something else.

I haven't been to Brisbane in years but there's more tree companys here than you can poke a stick at.

It's a big place. Sydney area is big, but we do like our trees. A lot of storm damage and then the drought has caused a lot of removals, but unless you saw it before, you wouldn't notice.

You still here?

:beerchug:

The best advice i can give to start with is to get your hands on some nappy rash cream.

Brisbane being sub tropical makes you sweat just a little,you'll find after a few long days grafting in that you can get a bit tender behind the knees,crotch,anywhere that rubs etc.Drink plenty of water(up to 5 litres a day we got through some days)and keep that skin covered as best you can.

Second bit of advice is buy a cooley box,great for keeping your box of Tooheys blue nice and cold after a hard days work.:beer:

Worked From a base in Virginia,domestic,site(1st day worked next to the gabba)and a fair bit for Caboolture council.

Hard work,long days ,but made a packet,came back with more than i arrived with.

Hope you have a good time mate,is a good place to be.

Yes fellas, here in Brissie till the 26th. Off to Byron at the weekend.

YP - I know what you mean mate, I've got groin rash already and I'm on holiday!

Would like to have a crack working out here for a month or two, but I think the heat would do me in. I'm from Northumberland!

Brother and sister in law live in Brissie. Nice place, but I agree about Sydney and would prefer to travel more. I have taken out a second mortgage for my impending Byron visit! Been before, nice place.

Saw a gang taking down a Moreton Bay Fig (?) yesterday. Pro job, in a school field, but left a 5' stump with some tears in it. Just wondered if this was some eco-arb thing?

took a few moreton bay figs down when i was in byron. nice trees but that sap takes forever to get off your rope. not a fan of brissie at all. no character at all just concrete. i find it's mainly removal work, or large limb removals, and noone's interested in firewood so they chip everything.